Casting a baited rig?

Rate this topic

I can throw a chunk of lead a short country mile but if I try casting with a top water plug or bait it’s just not happening. Are there any tricks to casting bait and sinker? Even a fish finder rig ends up looking like a propeller. I thought you would be the right folks to ask.

I use clip down/pulley rigs similar to the ones BeachBob posted above.

One of the important things with casting baits,

Is making sure they’re areodynamic for casting long distances. I always try to cut my baits, or I tie them back with elastic string, so they fly through the air with less resistance to them. Usually I fish two chunking set ups, one in tighter with a big old bait,(bunker head or whole surf turkey:clam) and then another smaller, more friendly, casting one, so I can get it out over 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd bar, if need be!

Also, when/if I use the fishfinder rigs, my 50-100 pd mono leader is 8-10 inches long at the most, for my circle hook. I always try to cut my baits, or I tie them back with elastic string,

when I’m looking for that extra distance.

8 hours ago, KarpsnKatz said:

How long is the leader on your rig? I could be wrong, but I remember hearing that "Helecoptoring" is the result of throwing too long of a leader

That's what helicoperting is - separate hook leader spinning around the sinker - length of the leader, weight and bulk of the bait, all determines how great the spin can be.  That type of rig is fine for easy short distance tosses, but for serious distance, particularly with big baits, a clip down rig is the only way to go.

The only government I trust is the .45-70

• 2 weeks later...

If you are throwing a Bunker Head or Bunker Chunk, you can use a "Slap-Shot" Fishfinder Rig with a very short (approx. 3inch) leader.  It will not helicopter.  There are many varieties of clip down single or double hook rigs for use - Google "Clip down bait rig design" - it will yield a significant number of results.  A good USA source for components is Breakaway USA, but you can also source from Breakaway UK and Veals Mail Order.

On 5/5/2024 at 4:14 PM, BeachBob said:

Clip down rig .....

clip_down_rigs.png.c49a256733565e2149f31dc52cb09ded.png

baitdd.png.eec7f2298476ef8d74ee3d64beeaea53.png

baitxx.png.5299aa2824bd983da16870d83248f362.png

clipdownrig2.jpg.e7af83b948189e33dcf63f49b14f581f.jpg

Where are you guys getting the clips in this pic? The clip at the top of the rig with the barrel swivel

Not the breakaway imp clips but the non moving ones?   

I have some from Amazon but they're a weird named brand from Asia.  I'd like to find a US source to order from. 

Also.. am I correct that to properly tie this rig the hooks leader needs to be approximately 2x the length of the weight section.

Edited by PSeggs

13 mins ago, PSeggs said:

Where are you guys getting the clips in this pic? The clip at the top of the rig with the barrel swivel

Not the breakaway imp clips but the non moving ones?   

I have some from Amazon but they're a weird named brand from Asia.  I'd like to find a US source to order from. 

Also.. am I correct that to properly tie this rig the hooks leader needs to be approximately 2x the length of the weight section.

If you mean this ....

clip.png.1525ad0cca9c7628002eb39c5362a69a.png

... I don't remember where I got 'em from.  There are other, simpler ways to make a "clip down rig" such as using a wire leg off a spider weight ...

rig.png.413c6511af6cb81afe81d896b5af4cf0.png

As far as length, most any will work just fine - it's the action of hook/bait disengagement that matters.

Edited by BeachBob

The only government I trust is the .45-70

@BeachBob. Yes the little pic with the barrel swivel.  I have the Breakaway clips and use them on a clipped pulley rig, but I like how this rig can be pretied and stored on a roll then clipped to the barrel swivel.  The rig I'm using now requires me to thread the rig Thru the barrel swivel and I can't make them ahead of time.   pulley-rig.jpg.069ce06264e4e4a4ae0ebef1881e3edd.jpg

The no name clips I have, work for a lead link.  But I don't know if I trust them on the mainline end.   Just seeing if there is anything  "better"

12 hours ago, PSeggs said:

@BeachBob. Yes the little pic with the barrel swivel.  I have the Breakaway clips and use them on a clipped pulley rig, but I like how this rig can be pretied and stored on a roll then clipped to the barrel swivel.  The rig I'm using now requires me to thread the rig Thru the barrel swivel and I can't make them ahead of time.   pulley-rig.jpg.069ce06264e4e4a4ae0ebef1881e3edd.jpg

The no name clips I have, work for a lead link.  But I don't know if I trust them on the mainline end.   Just seeing if there is anything  "better"

Why wouldn’t you just use a heavy duty tactical anglers clip tied to your main line?

I swap all my own pre-tied rigs in and out that way. All my rings are tied with a 100-150 pound mini barrel up top, just for this reason.
And if a blitz just so happens to pop up, I can grab a heavy plug or a spoon and clip it right on if they happen to be in close enough.

15 mins ago, ExcessiveAngler said:

Why wouldn’t you just use a heavy duty tactical anglers clip tied to your main line?

I swap all my own pre-tied rigs in and out that way. All my rings are tied with a 100-150 pound mini barrel up top, just for this reason.
And if a blitz just so happens to pop up, I can grab a heavy plug or a spoon and clip it right on if they happen to be in close enough.

Because I want that J shape for the leader to go up and over.  Then down to clip onto the lead clip.