Tog Metro Boston

Rate this topic

Hey tog folks. Lots of talk at the bait shops about Tog in the Mystic River, Chelsea Creek, and Danvers River up into the far reaches and backwaters of Salem Harbor and up to the Old Same and Joe and Danversport area. 

Edited by The Riddler

Been hearing that forever. Now that I'm outfitted, I fully intend to see if it's a viable sport fishery.

Edit: once upon a time I tried from shore for a while. Kept getting stripers. I think once I saw one chase a bait being retrieved up a rocky embankment.

Edited by ermghoti

Massachusetts EPO:

1-800-632-8075

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2024 at 12:31 PM, The Riddler said:

Hey tog folks. Lots of talk at the bait shops about Tog in the Mystic River, Chelsea Creek, and Danvers River up into the far reaches and backwaters of Salem Harbor and up to the Old Same and Joe and Danversport area. 

I've caught them in the Danvers River 30 years ago...........fishing for flounder

and not just one.........

The NH state record tog was caught at the Hampton/Seabrook bridge. They're around north of the cape, but few people target them. I saw a video of some scuba divers off Gloucester on YouTube where they saw tog around rockpiles, and some big ones too. 

On 5/15/2024 at 6:38 AM, albacized said:

I recall a time tautog were not a thing north of the cape- then I started seeing a few caught during some of trips up to a certain pile of Cape Ann rocks. And for the past few seasons, I now read they’re common place north of cape cod

I grew up catching Tog in Duxbury harbor off my uncle's boat. This was in the early 70's. No electronics, just a homemade wooden boat with an outboard. Back then all he ever used for bait was sea worms. 

2 hours ago, klaney said:

The NH state record tog was caught at the Hampton/Seabrook bridge. They're around north of the cape, but few people target them. I saw a video of some scuba divers off Gloucester on YouTube where they saw tog around rockpiles, and some big ones too. 

An old timer who lives around the hampton area tells me stories all the time about tog on the mussel beds. Always wanted to try but never do because i'm more focused on other species.