Bait fish on the North Shore?

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, codfish said:

What is the most common bait fish on the North Shore? plan on fishing visiting a relative :th:

sea herring, alewives, blueback herring, bunker (pogy) , mackerel, Harbor Pollack, silvers sides, peanuts, baby haddock, small sea bass, peanuts. 

When they are scrounging  they can go into a marsh and eat brine shrimp in the spring. Some of the shrimp are like 3". Scrounging in the rocks they est lobster, crabs and most importantly Gunnel. Gunnel are all around the rocks. When I ate more Striped Bass in the day. 30" class regularly in Rockport and Gloucester had gunnel in its stomach. I don't know if they specifically look for it but they will eat it. If there is green seaweed around they will be chartreuse. Brown with orange is very common.

IMG_3198.jpeg

IMG_3197.jpeg

Edited by The Riddler

On 5/3/2024 at 12:02 PM, The Riddler said:

sea herring, alewives, blueback herring, bunker (pogy) , mackerel, Harbor Pollack, silvers sides, peanuts, baby haddock, small sea bass, peanuts. 

When they are scrounging  they can go into a marsh and eat brine shrimp in the spring. Some of the shrimp are like 3". Scrounging in the rocks they est lobster, crabs and most importantly Gunnel. Gunnel are all around the rocks. When I ate more Striped Bass in the day. 30" class regularly in Rockport and Gloucester had gunnel in its stomach. I don't know if they specifically look for it but they will eat it. If there is green seaweed around they will be chartreuse. Brown with orange is very common.

IMG_3198.jpeg

IMG_3197.jpeg

:th:

On 5/3/2024 at 12:02 PM, The Riddler said:

IMG_3198.jpeg

IMG_3197.jpeg

I always thought rock gunnels would make great fluke bait, I’ll have to give it a try this year

7 mins ago, mcnar said:

I always thought rock gunnels would make great fluke bait, I’ll have to give it a try this year

Oh man, I love those guys! I hate to see you use them for bait.

Of course, easier said than done. There's a reason they're called butterfish (not to be confused with the real butterfish). They're very slippery and hard to handle

2 mins ago, mikez2 said:

Oh man, I love those guys! I hate to see you use them for bait.

Of course, easier said than done. There's a reason they're called butterfish (not to be confused with the real butterfish). They're very slippery and hard to handle

They are cool little fish. We pull them up when hauling oysters all the time, certain times of the year I probably see at least a hundred in a day so they seem pretty abundant where I’m at. Biggest ones I’ve seen have been about 8 or so inches, practically could use them as an eel substitute lol. They all get throw back overboard

Totally new to me. I've never heard of them, or seen one, until this thread.

Wikipedia doesn't have much on them. What's the southern limit of the range of the particular gunnel pictured? 

On 5/3/2024 at 10:00 AM, unskunk said:

probably herring now...............

Guy told me today (he was fishing for winter flounder) said there is a lot of herring.