May Reports Thread

Rate this topic

Fished out front yesterday from a little before high to most of outgoing.  Not much in the way of bait or signs of fish (did see a couple of guys each land a bluefish).  Biggest excitement was helping a guy unhook an osprey.  I was a little ways up the beach and saw the bird circling and dive pretty close to the sand.  As it flew off the water, it looked like it was struggling to gain elevation, then it was circling erratically.  At some point, I could see the sunlight reflecting off the line, so then I looked on shore and saw that a guy had his rod bent (facing upwards).  I started making my way towards him to see if he needed help.  By the time I got a bit closer, he had managed to grab the line and was hand-over-hand-lining it in.  Problem was, the osprey touched down in the surf (wasn't rough at that point), and it looked like the guy was going to wade in to try to free the bird.  I yelled to them (there were two women with him) that they needed to get the bird on the sand.  They either didn't hear me or understand English too well, but I motioned to them and they got it.  The guy pinned the bird's wings down (I cringed) and was struggling to get near the lure.  When I got to them, I took my jacket off, and we used that to put over the bird's head (which I knew should calm it down).  The guy was able to work the barbed treble out of the osprey's leg.  To my surprise, it flew off quite strongly, seemingly none the worse for the ordeal.  I would post a pic, but I know you folks don't like to see pics of catches that are going to be released. :)

(Actually, never even thought about taking a pic).

WOW smart, quick, thinking on your part, them claws and beak, I Imagine would do some damage, and treble?? Stuck in the birds leg, and with all that movement!!! I am sure you had your pliers at the ready. Just think if you werent there? That guy wading in to the surf???? Recipe for disaster, trying to negotiate, the waves and the bird.

Fishing on the beach at Sankaty Head, Nantucket several years ago. Just about dawn and my buddy has an aerial entanglement with a big gull. It wasn't hooked, just a major tangle. Same deal, he hand-over-handed it onto the beach and we covered its head with a towel. It took three of us to control the bird enough to start cutting line. About this time here comes two early morning beach walking ladies and I use that term judiciously. They laid into us (fishermen) with a broad brush. Killers, cruel, anti-environment..........I could see, hear and smell the sulphuric gas hissing out of my buddy's ears. They didn't seem to understand NOBODY hooks a bird intentionally. We freed the bird, it cost him a $6 Hopkins and about a year's worth of patience.

We fished the surf in south Jersey.  Not sure how specific I can get, but it was very south.  Friday evening was skates, smooth dogs and one spiny on the DE Bay side.  Saturday morning we tried the ocean side.  Caught a shark and a couple skates but the wind and current made it hard to fish.  Tried the DE Bay side and caught a few bluefish from 5-10 pounds on artificials around low tide.  In the evening, same spot, more sharks and skates.  Did not see a striper or drum caught.  Some guys were trying for weakfish with bloodworms but caught nothing.

Been a pretty decent bluefish spring with the size of them. Just sucks they are not closer to home for me. Nice to bend the rod and have fun. Did not encounter a striper today. Ill be away from saltwater for a little while and hopefully my neck of the woods atleast gets better with bait and fishing all around.

1 min ago, MC55 said:

Great looking white water being enjoyed by the surfer crowd this morning but that was the only activity I could find.  By doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a much better outcome do I need to start looking over my shoulder for anyone in a clean white coat?    

Me and the Boys Week - Imgflip

That was me all of March and April out back. Made the move out front the last two weeks and it's been alot better.