May Reports Thread

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, Sudsy said:

Iffin it were worms you'd have seen them. When they doing the trout thing on invisible baits it almost always grass shrimp (been there, done that)

Cant confirm or deny the accuracy of your comments…

Quick morning session yesterday for fluke in the back, 1 short and a few bites that couldn't get the hook in their mouth.  My usual early season spots have been pretty dead so far.  Still haven't had time to hit the surf unfortunately, soon hopefully.

Tins=Wins

Lots of bunker back in the bay, also some small bait (probably spearing or anchovies). Osprey's catching bunker, lots of terns hanging out. Early in the day all the bait was pushed way out (I was kayaking) but when I started packing up today most of it was pushed up to the waterline. Water quality (at least where I was) was surprisingly complete garbage though but the bait is thick enough you feel your line flossing them, lots of topwater activity as well. Water temp was up to 69 degrees. Was ready to sacrifice a bunch of plastics to blues and fluke but no one showed up. Tonight and tomorrow seems like good fishing. 

Quick hit trip to some new water to the south 8p-12a with the same result. Moderate surface action, occasional larger splashes, but mostly out of fly rod range. Tied up some flies that definitely matched the hatch, but my 3 year fly rod fishless skunk continues. One of these trips will be worth the next day exhaustion, I hope. Out of the game for a few weeks. IMG_9061.jpeg.75f9af096cedfd0634c7b804b1aed13e.jpeg

Shortened trip this morning with the T-storms showing up.  Water seemed much colder and surf action was settling down some.  Fished bugs and then one of my little sand eels but nobody interested so back with the skunk again.

Posted (edited)

It’s been all blues out back for me lately. Things started slowing down so I switched it up and fished out front. Surf looked good with the incoming, light S wind, but the water was cold.

Got saved from the skunk with 1 hit 1 fish at 28” on the bugs. @MC55 and I scooted out of there with the impending storm. May try again this evening.

IMG_2847.jpeg

Edited by DeeMonee

Week long report..

Gave it a shot a couple times outfront. No takers, but did toss a JS around for a few fluke. Water is a little to cold in the surf, another week or so.

Outback is a different story. At the flip this afternoon water temp shot up to 62 from 53 in 20 mins! Fluke have been consistent and doing well from the yak. Alot of shorts though. Topwater Bluefish has been ooutstanding if you can avoid boat traffic. 

Highlight of the week, took a buddy from work out early am to target blues. Big freshwater fisherman with no saltwater gear at all but i set him up real nice. We had about 15 each from 5 to 10lbs all on top in about 2 hours. He had an absolute blast! Thanked me about 20 times, bought me lunch and last i checked he had a 800$ shopping cart with Tackledirect! Lol!!