May Reports Thread

Rate this topic

Report as little or as much detail as you would like to provide the reader but please don't post specific street names or areas.

Pictures of Stripers are discouraged since they hinder a quick release and at times reveal a specific spot.

Do not direct viewers to any beach camera sites.

A specific spot is too much information!
It's not like telling a friend or two, posting it here is telling thousands. Doing so only creates crowds, garbage, and loss of our spots.

For example, you can say that you caught fish in Ocean County but saying that you got them at Ocean Beach is a no-no.

The terms to use are..........
Monmouth County
Ocean County
Atlantic County
Cape May County
North Jersey for the Hudson and other backwaters.

County name plus "In the back" for Inlets, Rivers, and Bays.

And......GO!

Try to keep other conversations, inquires, and rants in separate threads.

Hey boys Any luck out front on plugs or is it still a clam / worm / chunk game?

Likely going to spend next week in jersey and think back bays may still be the move.

B'Nuggets with the Asian.

(*member formerly known as 'imdannoir')

I saw a big pod of dolphins working over some bait in MoCo last evening. 

I was not fishing at the time, so that's all I got :clown:

Banned in Florida

Fished the drop half way down to the bottom in NoMoCo out back. A spin fisheman landed a bluefish and had a blow up on his surface plug at the end of his cast. Another zero for me but it was a gorgeous spring evening weather wise. Still not seeing any bait. No cormorants or ospreys fishing, laughing gulls and terns with no small baitfish returning to shore. Cool weather, east winds and more rain will once again bring no good news.

Edited by saltyh2ofly

I guess I will just add to the choir.  It still sucks out there.  Have been out a few times this week in multiple locations but they all resulted in the same skunk.  Have been tossing plugs, plastics, and the bugs but nobody home.  Surf conditions have been just fine.  Will give it a rest until Monday and hope for the best.

Whaddya think these winds are gonna do to the water temps ???

The fish will be looking for their winter coats.

TONIGHT
E winds 10 to 15 kt, diminishing to 5 to 10 kt after midnight. Seas 2 to 4 ft. Wave Detail: E 3 ft at 6 seconds and E 1 ft at 10 seconds. Patchy fog. Vsby 1 to 3 NM.

SAT
E winds 10 to 15 kt. Seas 2 to 3 ft. Wave Detail: E 3 ft at 6 seconds. Patchy fog in the morning with vsby 1 to 3 NM.

SAT NIGHT
E winds 10 to 15 kt. Seas 3 to 4 ft. Wave Detail: E 3 ft at 5 seconds.

SUN
SE winds 10 to 15 kt with gusts up to 20 kt. Seas 3 to 4 ft. Wave Detail: SE 3 ft at 5 seconds. A chance of showers in the afternoon.

SUN NIGHT
S winds 10 to 15 kt. Seas 3 to 4 ft. Wave Detail: SE 3 ft at 6 seconds and E 2 ft at 9 seconds. A chance of showers in the evening, then showers after midnight.

MON
S winds 5 to 10 kt. Seas 2 to 3 ft. Wave Detail: S 2 ft at 5 seconds and E 2 ft at 10 seconds. Showers likely, mainly in the morning.

MON NIGHT
S winds 5 to 10 kt, becoming W after midnight. Seas 2 to 3 ft. A chance of showers.

TUE
N winds 5 to 10 kt, becoming SE in the afternoon. Seas 2 to 3 ft. A chance of showers in the morning.

TUE NIGHT
S winds 5 to 10 kt. Seas 2 to 3 ft. A chance of showers.

WED
S winds 10 to 15 kt. Seas 2 to 3 ft. A chance of showers.

WED NIGHT
S winds 10 to 15 kt. Seas 2 to 3 ft. A chance of showers.

Edited by Snaps

Couple skunks for me lately back of moco. Went out on boat yesterday..some interesting observations..

-at fuel dock an employee told us the commercial bunker netter said the last 2 months have been the worst hauls he's ever had in 10 plus years. 

-fish ate but by way of MOJO. Yes I hate trolling too. 

-later was really interesting which I think explains alot. Bass started popping up top but on scattered bunker. I have never seen bass so dialed in on prey. They moved at a rapid rate similar to albis. You could almost sense they were desperate to catch what they were stalking. Judging by the girth of the fish of late you can see why .  Managed one but I just so happened to hit the fish on the head. 

-water still just seems...ehh off. Can't put my finger on it. 

Took another walk after dinner- thought east wind would be a problem for the fly rod so took a 10wgt for the extra punch/ wind was not a issue-

managed two dinks for the effort- a spot west of me looked like participation was high- I stayed myself till towards the end when I had to look to see if I was missing something- didn’t seem like I was-  nice enough evening. 

1 hour ago, joefishnj21 said:

Couple skunks for me lately back of moco. Went out on boat yesterday..some interesting observations..

-at fuel dock an employee told us the commercial bunker netter said the last 2 months have been the worst hauls he's ever had in 10 plus years. 

-later was really interesting which I think explains alot. Bass started popping up top but on scattered bunker. I have never seen bass so dialed in on prey. They moved at a rapid rate similar to albis. You could almost sense they were desperate to catch what they were stalking. Judging by the girth of the fish of late you can see why .  Managed one but I just so happened to hit the fish on the head. 

Saw a boat dropping nets in raritan bay off of the navy pier this week. I thought they were not allowed to net in the bay? 

12 hours ago, joefishnj21 said:

We call that type of fishing "singling out bunker".  One of my favorite ways to find bass feeding on bunker.  Usually it'll just be one or two fish that have pushed a single bait off the school and relentlessly pursue it until one of them gets it. You can catch the odd fish fan casting, but if you really want to put numbers up it requires accurate casts right on their head.  Topwater is king there, any kind of walk the dog spook will immediately draw their attention. If you cast more than 5 feet away from the action you'll almost invariably come up empty.  Sadly you don't see this kind of action a lot when there's lots of boat traffic, it can certainly happen, but it appears that crowds of engines running put the kibosh on this kind of feeding. 

1 hour ago, bbfish said:

We call that type of fishing "singling out bunker".  One of my favorite ways to find bass feeding on bunker.  Usually it'll just be one or two fish that have pushed a single bait off the school and relentlessly pursue it until one of them gets it. You can catch the odd fish fan casting, but if you really want to put numbers up it requires accurate casts right on their head.  Topwater is king there, any kind of walk the dog spook will immediately draw their attention. If you cast more than 5 feet away from the action you'll almost invariably come up empty.  Sadly you don't see this kind of action a lot when there's lots of boat traffic, it can certainly happen, but it appears that crowds of engines running put the kibosh on this kind of feeding. 

That's exactly what happened. Traffic knocked em down. But yes, docs and mantis are what I was chucking. I like mantis' sometimes for bass cuz they heave a lot of water. Strike always seems a bit more ferocious on those.