Are they here?

Rate this topic

1 min ago, stormy monday said:

I hit a couple spots on the Piscataqua yesterday, usually reliable spots and tides for early fishing, but no sign of activity other than wind activity(!) Glad I brought my 9 weight instead of my 6 jeezum crow.... Any day now....

I did the same Saturday and it was a ghost town. No signs of life. 

I wanted to fish out front but by mid morning the wind was stiff enough to be very frustrating 

The Black Flag comes in many colorsM. Malice

Still practicing my casting, no signs of striped fish, although I did have a green crab grab my SP Minnow, go figure.  Was hoping chumming with her might draw some attention, but no to that too...

Shall I go to heaven or a-fishing? - H. D. Thoreau

Veni.  Vidi.  Cepi. - with apologies to Gaius Julius Caesar

53 mins ago, 541Wiant said:

What's the best thing to throw this time of year when the rivers are full of bait? 

Kid ya not, sometimes it’s the bait itself. Otherwise bone or yellow paddle tails, bucktails would be my top two. topwater, swimming plugs, metal lips when the bigs are in and they’re more fired up than they are currently 

Posted (edited)

If not my fly rod with black flies is usually always Kastmaster really ripped, any hours! Chunking is usually the most productive for bigger fish. Kinda got away from topwater

Edited by RAW
Correction

On 5/14/2024 at 4:47 PM, 541Wiant said:

What's the best thing to throw this time of year when the rivers are full of bait? 

I’ve been throwing all kinds of lures and the only one that is being consistently bit is the 5 inch mag darter

3 hours ago, Skunkoff said:

I always start off with topwater.  Hasn't worked for me yet, but I've only been out two short trips.  But my brain controls my hand, and my hand always moves toward a spook or popper first.  I can't help it...

Agreed, and since I'm usually fishing less than 8' of water I regard poppers as "the canary in the coal mine" as if there are any fish around, they'll come up to take a look at a minimum, and I'll know if the boys are back in town...

Shall I go to heaven or a-fishing? - H. D. Thoreau

Veni.  Vidi.  Cepi. - with apologies to Gaius Julius Caesar

10 hours ago, caileb said:

I’ve been throwing all kinds of lures and the only one that is being consistently bit is the 5 inch mag darter

With all due respect to poppers and spooks which I also use frequently, the 5.25" mag darter is my best all around plug and works everywhere. Everyone has a favorite plug they use to probe the water on the first few casts. That's mine. 

Pfantum Pfishah