Are they here?

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, punkroktownie said:

5/7/24

and a 28ish. 

Didn't stay long.

Was hoping for a string of 2 warmish days!

Nice!  After some fun exciting blood work tomorrow morning, I might give it a go.  Two rods and korkers in the truck.  Maybe some rain gear too, lol.

I saw fish busting a river also, there was a boaters moving around, I will start up Friday am. Lobster guys are seeing sporadic fish in 30’ of water, no harbor action seen yet, should be next few days. More birds working the water around jetty point. 

20 hours ago, Skunkoff said:

Stupid question for the log books.  Is anyone including skunk trips for any statistical reasons?  I did last year but not sure what info it would contribute.  I think this year I'll skip that and just number the trips accordingly.  Like trip 1, trip 2, trip 5, etc.

I don't keep formal logs consistently, but when I do I include everything...hits and misses. Recording the data on skunks is just as valuable as the productive outings IMO. 

Pfantum Pfishah

13 mins ago, bdowning said:

I don't keep formal logs consistently, but when I do I include everything...hits and misses. Recording the data on skunks is just as valuable as the productive outings IMO. 

Yeah I agree.  Gonna try to put more extra info in the notes section too. 

Nice job punkroc..Headlamp did a nice job obscuring background but I know where you were. haha. Crazy how careful one has to be these days. General areas not so much but the coveted secret spots can be blown up on ya. My earliest fish out front was May 16 a few years back. Latest fish Oct 31 never a November fish. Trying for that November fish almost killed me a few times. Rougher seas in the fall washed me off ledges & boulders a few times. Youth & athleticism saved me, got me out early in the Spring & late in the Fall.

Today not so much. Older legs lack the balance, bruises last longer, cuts seem to take longer to heal. Have to fish smarter I say. In my mind I’m still on that outer ledge picking my landing spot reading the whitewater backsplash. My new reality should be restricted to casting from the sandy surf  or joining the bucket brigade. NOT.

If you see a floater a little ways out near a boulder or ledge you might say” he shouda known better”. No argument here. Rock hopping, ledge skipping is my specialty, my niche fishing, just can’t give it up yet. My rod will serve as my cane, Korker spikes my orthopedic shoe, my surfbag will contain more bandaids. Mindful of flatter ledges,  stable boulders, BOGA  grip every fish, safer releases will be the order of the day. 

I’m happy for you punkroc… and a bit envious of your youth and all the fishing years ahead of you.  I remember my youthful fishing days and lucky enough to still have a bunch of days left in me, just a little slower getting to my spots.

Looking forward to a another season starting up for all the SOL members.

Congrats on your early season striper.

(*member formerly known as 'garycunn)'

Alewives are in my river, that's probably a week early.  Striped friends won't be too far behind...

Shall I go to heaven or a-fishing? - H. D. Thoreau

Veni.  Vidi.  Cepi. - with apologies to Gaius Julius Caesar

Look who's back online!!  Happy Thursday!!

image.png.6410b65315f23f2f06575635f277a266.png

On 5/8/2024 at 4:03 PM, Livliner said:

Nice job punkroc..Headlamp did a nice job obscuring background but I know where you were. haha. Crazy how careful one has to be these days. General areas not so much but the coveted secret spots can be blown up on ya. My earliest fish out front was May 16 a few years back. Latest fish Oct 31 never a November fish. Trying for that November fish almost killed me a few times. Rougher seas in the fall washed me off ledges & boulders a few times. Youth & athleticism saved me, got me out early in the Spring & late in the Fall.

Today not so much. Older legs lack the balance, bruises last longer, cuts seem to take longer to heal. Have to fish smarter I say. In my mind I’m still on that outer ledge picking my landing spot reading the whitewater backsplash. My new reality should be restricted to casting from the sandy surf  or joining the bucket brigade. NOT.

If you see a floater a little ways out near a boulder or ledge you might say” he shouda known better”. No argument here. Rock hopping, ledge skipping is my specialty, my niche fishing, just can’t give it up yet. My rod will serve as my cane, Korker spikes my orthopedic shoe, my surfbag will contain more bandaids. Mindful of flatter ledges,  stable boulders, BOGA  grip every fish, safer releases will be the order of the day. 

I’m happy for you punkroc… and a bit envious of your youth and all the fishing years ahead of you.  I remember my youthful fishing days and lucky enough to still have a bunch of days left in me, just a little slower getting to my spots.

Looking forward to a another season starting up for all the SOL members.

Congrats on your early season striper.

Actually,... I qualify for senior housing now. However, I like to think I'm more careful these days.

Love your write-up.

(wicked secret spot)

On 5/6/2024 at 3:59 PM, Skunkoff said:

Yup.  Time to break out the cigars!

haha.. I grew up with white tipped cigars fishing.. even at a very young age.. my dad told me not to inhale

RIP Innis - April 9th 2012 - you always be in my heart. :)

26 mins ago, punkroktownie said:

Actually,... I qualify for senior housing now. However, I like to think I'm more careful these days.

Love your write-up.

(wicked secret spot)

all the way up to Lewiston

RIP Innis - April 9th 2012 - you always be in my heart. :)

Gave it a shot late yesterday afternoon.  Top of the tide never good early on, and yesterday was no exception, not a hint of bass, although there were quite a few seals enjoying the alewives.  Will try later this AM closer to ebb when the fish get concentrated in the channels.

Water temp was nuts though, at 60°F, it's 8 degrees normal than this time last year!!

I hit a couple spots on the Piscataqua yesterday, usually reliable spots and tides for early fishing, but no sign of activity other than wind activity(!) Glad I brought my 9 weight instead of my 6 jeezum crow.... Any day now....