What are these?

Rate this topic

Trout fishing Barre Falls area, walking in and saw these in the woods on a hillside.  Obviously monitoring something, but what.

The three small objects in the third photo are some sorts of cup held up on stakes.

IMG_20240430_093724.jpg

IMG_20240430_093706.jpg

IMG_20240430_093758.jpg

The Sultan of Sluggo

10 mins ago, zak-striper said:

They remind me of the Japanese beetle traps my father used to put in the back yard when I was a kid.

Maybe they're a trap for some other type of invasive insect.

Are Japanese beetles still a thing? I remember I used to love catching them as a child but I don't remember seeing them as an adult.i also havn't been looking but still what I remember they were everywhere back then

2 hours ago, zak-striper said:

They remind me of the Japanese beetle traps my father used to put in the back yard when I was a kid.

Maybe they're a trap for some other type of invasive insect.

My first thought was some kind of bug trap as well.

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

The AcuRite® Solar Radiation Shield protects your outdoor sensors from the sun's rays, letting you enjoy improved outdoor daytime temperature accuracy, even in direct sunlight. The radiation shield provides shade for your AcuRite Temperature Sensor, Temperature & Humidity Sensor, or Lightning Detector with Temperature and Humidity, while also allowing for ample ambient airflow. The solar shield features durable all-weather construction and offers easy installation and includes an integrated hanger and key hole, allowing for multiple mounting options.

• Radiation shield for outdoor sensors
  • Protects units for the sun's rays that affect temperature measurement
  • Works with many AcuRite wireless sensors
  • All-weather construction
  • Easy installation with multiple mounting options

3 hours ago, zak-striper said:

I don't think so. Their nests in trees used to be super obvious. I don't remember seeing one in a long time.

I think you're confusing the Japanese beetles with tent worm caterpillars. Two different animals. 

Japanese beetle larvae live underground. Those are what the skunks are digging for when they leave little holes in your yard.

They're definitely still around. Every so many years there's a big hatch. They eat eat up roses and grapes, among others.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_beetle

Tent worm caterpillars make the tent nests in trees. They're a moth larvae. They also are still around. There were some bad outbreaks a few years ago where they ate all the leaves off big stretches of forest. Nothing like the bad plagues we had back in the 70s. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tent_caterpillar

2 mins ago, mikez2 said:

There were some bad outbreaks a few years ago where they ate all the leaves off big stretches of forest. Nothing like the bad plagues we had back in the 70s. 

I remember walking outside as a kid in the early 80s and it looked like mud all over the driveway and cars… nope just fresh caterpillar poop mixed with a gentle rain.

glad we haven’t seen that again!

20 mins ago, Fitzy said:

I remember walking outside as a kid in the early 80s and it looked like mud all over the driveway and cars… nope just fresh caterpillar poop mixed with a gentle rain.

glad we haven’t seen that again!

Yep and at night if it was quiet you could hear then munching in the trees. 

if I remember correctly, they came out with a commercial product you could spray your trees with that contained a bacteria that was specific to the caterpillar. That knocked them back considerably. 

They are still around though. They just haven't been a problem like they used to. 

1 hour ago, mikez2 said:

Yep and at night if it was quiet you could hear then munching in the trees. 

if I remember correctly, they came out with a commercial product you could spray your trees with that contained a bacteria that was specific to the caterpillar. That knocked them back considerably. 

They are still around though. They just haven't been a problem like they used to. 

Bacillus Thuringensis.

Do I win a prize?

Bacillus Thuringensis

commonly known as BT

There is a number of types of BT that kill various pests:

Japanese beetle grubs

Cabbage Moth caterillars

Mosquito larvae

Spruce beetle to mention a few.

The beasty eating the plant they were munching on consumes the BT with the plant and as the BT digest whatever they secrete their waste as thin sharp "crystals" which pierce the body of the host and the host leaks to death

Puck - Ditch Troll #42 and Mouse #320, the Canadians  - Eh! At the Ditch for 50yrs