2 Piece Spinning Rod Recommendations

Rate this topic

Topside2

I am trying to find a 2 piece spinning rod for stripers.  Something like a 7 foot medium or medium heavy rod rated for 8-17# line or similar.   It is almost impossible to find decent 2 piece rods anymore.  Any recommendations?

The new gen Fenwick HMG has a lot of 2 piece models.  You may be able to find some in heavier actions.  I want a 1 piece in a certain size and they had more 2 piece than 1 piece, lol.

Edited by Skunkoff

I think you’re right that there aren’t many quality 2pc. As mentioned, st croix premier makes a few. I have the 7’6” medium fast 2pc. It’s fine but I think older tech for the price. I happen to like the slightly more moderate action, and think it has surprising power in lower third, but it doesn’t have the tip to snap cast 3/4oz. It’s def stronger than the 7’6” st croix inshore medium lights, but not as stiff as *normal* st croix inshore 7’6” medium (I do not consider the tidemaster/mojo 7’6” med fast “normal”; it functions like at least a medium heavy and can cast an ounce or more easy). Still, I’ve landed large snook and reds with the premier 76mf2, but it’s not a tool to control a fish over 12-15lbs. Wear out with decent drag and light current, sure, control, overpower, and steer a big fish out of structure, absolutely not.

I like the Fenwicks in general but I haven’t fished the new models, and the old ones I haven’t aren’t striper sized. So no experience there but that’s the line I’d want to handle.

• 2 weeks later...

At that size there are few options… I used to think i needed two-piece rods because I used to have a smaller car. But you’d be surprised as to how you can fit a 7’6” in a Kia Forte (RIP lol).

I get it though as far as traveling with cargo and passengers and needing room.  I went with the roof rack system and have never turned back… can take any length rod(s) with me, lock’em up (still not completely safe if unattended, but better than nothing) and saves all my cargo/seating space.

If at all possible, I’d avoid a 2-piece if you’re looking for quality.  I’m not sure any exist but if they dooo, i’d go with a 70/30 split as opposed to 50/50. 

Tight lines!!

2 piece is definitely tougher. Ugly Stik Bigwater 2 piece is fine for utilitarian purposes. My standard rod to carry-on to FL. Black Hole is introducing a 3 piece that has me thinking I need to spend $400.