Snorkeling for lobster in MA

Rate this topic

Does anyone snorkel for lobster in MA? I found a few older posts saying its feasible, but not much in the way of specifics. Best location? Gear needed? Anyone do this or up for trying willing to go as a buddy? 

If you can hold your breath l8ke an experienced spear fisher you could probably do it. I've seen them snorkeling but they aren't easy to get your hands on. I personally can't hold my breath long enough to get deep enough and stay down long enough.

Scuba is more practical. 

13 mins ago, Boston83 said:

I have a friend who guides diving/scuba (licensed) for lobster in the Salem/Beverly MA area. Let me know if you want his contact info. 

That would be great - I have a scuba cert too, but haven’t been diving in MA before, still relatively new to the area. 

I started snorkeling for lobsters with my friend when we were 12. We did it for many years in the summer, and forty years later I still enjoy it.  You have to work at it to be successful and don't expect to fill a catch bag. A couple keepers for an hour isn't bad and catching 5 or 6 keepers is a stellar day. 

Wet suit and plenty of weight are a must. I use 24lbs. You don't want to sink until you get maybe 6 feet deep. You should have a poker of some kind to tickle them out from their holes. I use the top 3 feet of broken fishing rods, but anything thin and slightly flexible will do. Don't grab lobsters by the claws because they will drop them immediately. You will find them very close to shore during the summer and if you go at low tide you don't need to dive deep. 

Dive down to bottom and look for holes/overhangs and get you face right in there...you won't see many if you just swim along over the bottom. When you find a good one take your time figuring out how to get em out. The stick is key. One thing to be cautious about is sea urchins. The spines can be hell if they get into your knuckles. Good gloves will help with that.

If you like snorkeling you'll love hunting the lobsters Make sure you have a legal gauge and don't mangle them. There will be lots you have to release due to V notch, eggs etc..

I’ve done it for most of my life.  As long as you're comfortable holding your breath for a bit, all you need is full body wet suit, good fins, and a mask.  I never used weights since I’m usually in less than 10 feet of water.  Boulder fields at low tide in Plymouth, Marshfield or Sandwich is were I’d start.  

I’ve always had the best luck in May and early June.  Mid summer can be slow. Once you find good spots and get used to finding the subtle cues to lobster holes, getting your limit or close to it in a hour/1.5 hour swim is high.  Plus you can always find crabs.  

I know it’s irrational but I don’t dive much anymore due to all the seals and sharks in the summer.    

17 hours ago, Angiebio said:

That would be great - I have a scuba cert too, but haven’t been diving in MA before, still relatively new to the area. 

Hmmm you can’t receive PMs. Can you try to PM and I can give you his contact info ?

17 hours ago, PolishSurfer said:

Boulder fields at low tide in Plymouth, Marshfield or Sandwich is were I’d start.

Yep. Started last summer, going at low tide is much easier, you can find lobsters in just a few feet

19 hours ago, PolishSurfer said:

I’ve done it for most of my life.  As long as you're comfortable holding your breath for a bit, all you need is full body wet suit, good fins, and a mask.  I never used weights since I’m usually in less than 10 feet of water.  Boulder fields at low tide in Plymouth, Marshfield or Sandwich is were I’d start.  

I’ve always had the best luck in May and early June.  Mid summer can be slow. Once you find good spots and get used to finding the subtle cues to lobster holes, getting your limit or close to it in a hour/1.5 hour swim is high.  Plus you can always find crabs.  

I know it’s irrational but I don’t dive much anymore due to all the seals and sharks in the summer.    

15 lobsters in 1.5 hours is impressive. You have some productive hunting grounds or maybe part seal! If you are part seal keep it to yourself on here if you know what I mean. I'm quite a bit North of you and the hunting is best when the water warms up in June or July. 

19 hours ago, PolishSurfer said:

Full body wet suit and no weight???

You must have some serious bone density. I can't barely get my head underwater in a 5 ml wetsuit with no weight. All my strength would be expended just trying to stay down long enough to see anything. 

I used to wear 30 lbs of lead to collect tropical fish in 5 feet of water. That's a big reason I don't do it anymore. I can't barely climb back up the rocks after a swim carrying all that extra weight. 

3 hours ago, Boston83 said:

Hmmm you can’t receive PMs. Can you try to PM and I can give you his contact info ?

Figured it out - I’ve been reading for a while but just created a login yesterday. Apparently accounts have to be 10 days old to PM— will PM you as soon as the restriction falls off