If you could make 1 change in the laws to protect stipe bass what would it be?

Rate this topic

5 mins ago, z-man said:

C&R only. 

4 mins ago, bassmaster said:

This

^^^ this.

Also, eliminate hero photos.  Large fish cannot be removed from the water, and held up for a hero photo.

Ive seen so many healthy fish, held out of the water for many minutes while some nincompoops fumble for their phone to take a photo. Then the poor fish gets unceremoniously chucked in the water. It barely swims away, probably to be Salty the seals next meal.

The Sultan of Sluggo

Mandatoiry in-water release for all fish over 35 inches.

A May 15 season start (at least as far south as New Jerseyt) would come in a close second, with bait prohibited during the closed season

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

Not that my opinion matters b/c nothing is going to change, but I'm torn here....

From what I've read, stripers are naturally cyclical & are naturally prone to boom & bust cycles - alot depends on prey availability & their cycles, too.  Still, with *proper* management (not what we have now), it should be possible to minimize the bust cycles & prolong the boom cycles.  Therefore, 100% C&R might not be the best strategy.

Gamefish status as I understand it allows for rec harvest, but prohibits commercial harvest....that would be better than what we have now....but probably still not ideal on its own.

Ideally, I think you want to preserve the main block of breeding fish - "maximize top fecundity"....which means everything we're doing now is backwards....

So, I think you want 100% C&R of stripers >28". Some small allocation of harvest of fish 20"-28" ranging from 0% to maybe as high as 75% - depending on overall population abundance b/c you need some of those smaller fish to become bigger fish.  And that small allocation to be split between rec, charter + commercial (3 separate categories).  Based on what I saw last year, the harvest of 20-28" fish should be ~0%.  15 yrs ago, when there were schoolies in every harbor from Cape Cod to Maine - the harvest could be as high as 75% and still have tons of schoolies around.  In this way, I think we could better manage boom + bust cycles while preserving breeding population of large fish.

1 hour ago, hydraman said:

Poaching is a huge problem that’s gets no interest. Poachers kill more than commercials. 

This works. 

You really think poachers take over 700k pounds of striped bass in Mass?  That seems very excessive, but maybe I live under a rock.

Or maybe you’re referring to the poaching done by commercials.

Edited by Fitzy

59 mins ago, Fitzy said:

You really think poachers take over 700k pounds of striped bass in Mass?  That seems very excessive, but maybe I live under a rock.

Or maybe you’re referring to the poaching done by commercials.

I tend to agree but I don't know. 

With the premise being "what change in the law would you make", I figured the discussion would be about changing the law, in a realistic manner. 

Death penalty for poachers sounds cool to some I guess but it's not realistic.