How do you cook Tautog

Rate this topic

Tog fishing today the other white fish in buzz bay , good day , several  fish over 18” up to 22” about 5-6 solid pounds. I keep one, I have never ate tog but I’m not a big fish eater. I was told a stew is good anybody want to share grammar’s or ideas on how to cook it.   Btw it’s was shake down no brake day  

I love making Tautog Taco's. Fresh cabbage chipotle slaw with corn relish and fresh cilantro. Pan sear the pieces real quick with just plain vegetable oil and salt and pepper on them. You can use cast iron for best results. soft Tortillas and some chips and guac and you have a great meal!! Cheers enjoy!!

I've had them in chowder, broiled, and breaded and fried, and liked them all.

Maybe some of the best that I've had was pickled, although that was just a taste--maybe half a dozen chunks--and not something that I ever did myself.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

On 4/26/2024 at 7:06 AM, Good2Go said:

I'll bet smoked they'd be great. Firm meat, holds together well. 

I love to smoke porgy, a very similar tasting fish because of their shellfish diet, but to smoke tog seems a waste! I guess I've never had a glut enough of tog to try it.

The meat certainly does hold together great for stews and chowders, but it's so sweet tasting it's almost a shame to do so. Try scaling then fileting, and either pan frying or baking with the skin down for the bulk of the fry time or the entirety of the bake. A lot of the flavor is in or just under the skin, this lets it permeate the filet. 

Massachusetts EPO:

1-800-632-8075

Was my fav fish to eat when lived in the NE.

First!!!  ALWAYS filet and REMOVE skin.  Never cook with skin on.

Coat with egg and dredge in either flour or bread crumbs.

Fry in small amount of oil until done. Eat with tartar sauce.

Then make a fish stew with skeleton and especially head.

Edited by HL

On 4/25/2024 at 4:36 PM, stifftip said:

Tog fishing today the other white fish in buzz bay , good day , several  fish over 18” up to 22” about 5-6 solid pounds. I keep one, I have never ate tog but I’m not a big fish eater. I was told a stew is good anybody want to share grammar’s or ideas on how to cook it.   Btw it’s was shake down no brake day  

How deep?

Simple way of baking cod, haddock, pollock and/or tautog

Place the fillets in a glass baking dish, coating them with melted butter and then a mixture of Panko bread crumbs and crushed Ritz crackers.

Bake at 375 for 15 minutes or until fish is white and opaque . Remove from oven.

Turn on broiler, once hot, place dish under broiler for 15-20 seconds, just enough to lightly toast the topping

" I did my worst, but I did it well "