Spot lock and noise

1 hour ago, Captain Ahab said:

So do you just drift past a spot or anchor / power pole?  

Do youbuse a drift sock if windy?

I carefully plan my drift to try and get a cast at a few different angles of the piece of cover or structure I’m targeting. 

I’m primarily a bass angler that is power fishing - meaning I’m searching the areas along the banks or near the banks that will hold ACTIVE fish. IMO prime cover / structure is going to hold fish wether their active or not when I pass through is up to the fish. If a “ target area “ is really prime I will revisit that area a few times a day hoping I can catch them during a period of peak activity. Constantly pounding a key area over inactive fish is not a practice I find fruitful. 

I don’t have drift socks or power poles. 

7 mins ago, slicedcornbread said:

Interesting. I can't imagine why it would be a bad thing. I can understand if the claims of reducing noise and vibration, but for ease of prop removal, it seems like a no brainer.

I believe one of his reasons was that it could be hard to remove that style nut by hand especially when your hands are cold and wet. 

When I had him service my Terrova at the end of last season he balanced my prop, added a proprietary “ lube port “ to the steering motor ( basically drilled a hole in the steering housing and added a screw with an o ring and told me to give it a lil shot of Super Lube every few trips “. 

He also added a few shims to the steering motor that significantly reduced noise in my TM.

he’s a WIZARD with Minn Kota TM’s and usually provides same day service - the longest it takes him is 3 days 

you can look him up on FB - Bob Odell Trolling Motors 101

12 hours ago, z-man said:

How is the micro pole working out? Does it hold your boat well in a strong wind?

I was out yesterday and it was windy as hell. The Micro pole holds the boat in position really well. I didn't have an issue yesterday, but I can see where if I'm anchored and the wind is continually changing directions, the boat will swing on the pole. But I have a solution for that. I already have a bracket up on the bow that I drop a second pole through a pipe that's vertical and roughly 12" long. That manual set up was working pretty well for me anyways, but obviously the Power Pole is easier to use. I'll just use the manual pole to prevent the boat from swinging if that situation arises.

36 mins ago, slicedcornbread said:

I was out yesterday and it was windy as hell. The Micro pole holds the boat in position really well. I didn't have an issue yesterday, but I can see where if I'm anchored and the wind is continually changing directions, the boat will swing on the pole. But I have a solution for that. I already have a bracket up on the bow that I drop a second pole through a pipe that's vertical and roughly 12" long. That manual set up was working pretty well for me anyways, but obviously the Power Pole is easier to use. I'll just use the manual pole to prevent the boat from swinging if that situation arises.

Nice. I’ve been thinking about getting the manual version for my boat. It’s a 17’ with higher sides than your boat so it catches a bit more wind but seems like it will work to hold it in place and a hell of a lot cheaper than a spot lock trolling motor. 

2 mins ago, z-man said:

Nice. I’ve been thinking about getting the manual version for my boat. It’s a 17’ with higher sides than your boat so it catches a bit more wind but seems like it will work to hold it in place and a hell of a lot cheaper than a spot lock trolling motor. 

Definitely cheaper by a long shot. :th:

1 hour ago, Mummichog said:

How is spot lock on battery life?

I really do not think it is bad at all.  Unless it is pretty windy it is more of and on off type thing with less than full power.  Mine kicks on once the boat moves off the spot then kicks off once it is in position.

In a moderate wind it just jogs in place.  High wind runs in place just enough to stay there.

It kinda sucks in no wind or variable breeze because  of the on off all the time!  

I fish fine

look stupid 

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve often wished for a “chill” version of spot lock.  A setting that modulates power with stealth in mind instead of the exact spot.  I use my TM quite a bit on shallow flats sight casting and can tell you that a change in the TM will spook fish more often than not. Hitting spot lock induces so much drama that it isn’t an option until after hooking a fish. Even then I’m more likely to drop the power pole depending on water depth. 

Edited by Redsurffshr