Jump to content

Spot lock and noise


Recommended Posts

Last season added spot lock to my 16 MIrroCraft.  Awesome in that I can stop and hold anywhere and in just about any condition without need to deploy the anchor.  Usually once I use an anchor I tend to stay in that spot longer so the spot lock allows me to fish more and make small and large moves with ease.

 

The downside is the motor is constantly running on and off.  Noise and vibration.  

 

Does anyone else feel that the motor on and off and changing speeds spooks fish?  Heck I sometimes even shut off the sonar because of the noise especially in shallow water.

 

Thoughts?

Edited by Captain Ahab

I fish fine

look stupid 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 mins ago, Lateral Line said:

Noise is bad.

But why do large trout hit a plug just behind and in the wash of my 9.9 outboard prop? It's a thing. Happens every year.

I think a steady noise is acceptable to the fish.  It is when the rpms change and the noise stops and starts it is not such a good thing

I fish fine

look stupid 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

Last season added spot lock to my 16 MIrroCraft.  Awesome in that I can stop and hold anywhere and in just about any condition without need to deploy the anchor.  Usually once I use an anchor I tend to stay in that spot longer so the spot lock allows me to fish more and make small and large moves with ease.

 

The downside is the motor is constantly running on and off.  Noise and vibration.  

 

Does anyone else feel that the motor on and off and changing speeds spooks fish?  Heck I sometimes even shut off the sonar because of the noise especially in shallow water.

 

Thoughts?

What brand are you using?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
31 mins ago, capecodder said:

What brand are you using?

Motorguide

 

It is not that the unit is noisy.  It is the on and off and such that bothers me.  I know how water carries sound and vibration

Edited by Captain Ahab

I fish fine

look stupid 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Captain Ahab said:

Is that a metal prop?

No idea. Just some pics I pulled off the interwebs. :howdy:

My son-in-law has the hub, but I'll have to ask him if it makes a difference. I was mainly interested in them because you can pull the prop with no tools. I do keep a spare prop for the trolling motor on board my boat. Get wrapped with weeds or fishing line, just unscrew with your hand and yank the prop. Imma order one today I think. I just talked myself into it. :laugh: :wave:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Heres my thoughts on prop wash and other trolling motor noise - it will absolutely put the fish on alert and when actively fishing a spot I only use it to keep my boat out of trouble and once I “ prop wash “ a specific area I’m done with it for awhile. 

 

I start well off of my target areas and look at the wind and current and then decide on my angle of approach so I don’t have to get on the TM. 

 

I find spot lock most useful when landing fish, changing baits, when I hang a bait up and trying to get it back or eating lunch.

 

@slicedcornbread I asked my trolling motor service guy about the T H prop nut and he said he absolutely doesn’t recommend it - I forget the exact reasons he gave me but I value his opinion. 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
29 mins ago, NewAtIt said:

Heres my thoughts on prop wash and other trolling motor noise - it will absolutely put the fish on alert and when actively fishing a spot I only use it to keep my boat out of trouble and once I “ prop wash “ a specific area I’m done with it for awhile. 

 

I start well off of my target areas and look at the wind and current and then decide on my angle of approach so I don’t have to get on the TM. 

 

I find spot lock most useful when landing fish, changing baits, when I hang a bait up and trying to get it back or eating lunch.

 

@slicedcornbread I asked my trolling motor service guy about the T H prop nut and he said he absolutely doesn’t recommend it - I forget the exact reasons he gave me but I value his opinion. 

 

 

 

 

So do you just drift past a spot or anchor / power pole?  

 

Do youbuse a drift sock if windy?

 

Edited by Captain Ahab

I fish fine

look stupid 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Captain Ahab said:

So do you just drift past a spot or anchor / power pole?  

 

Do youbuse a drift sock if windy?

 

As previously mentioned, I have the Power Pole for shallow water. I do use a drift sock every once in a while in deep water when it's crazy windy. I don't like to use it. It's just a pain in the ass to be honest. But it does slow down my drift which helps when employing a drop shot or Ned rigs, etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NewAtIt said:

@slicedcornbread I asked my trolling motor service guy about the T H prop nut and he said he absolutely doesn’t recommend it - I forget the exact reasons he gave me but I value his opinion. 

Interesting. I can't imagine why it would be a bad thing. I can understand if the claims of reducing noise and vibration, but for ease of prop removal, it seems like a no brainer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...