Signs of Stripers

Rate this topic

Hey guys,

For the past week while anticipating a striped bass on my line, I have started to try piecing together correlations between the environment and my past Spring firsts of the year.

Last year, I caught my first fish a day after seeing the Herring being disturbed on the surface at sunset. Nothing crazy, but you can see the dribbles along the surface every so often.

This was nearly one week after the first giant wave of elvers invaded the river. At night, there were tons of those baby eels swimming along the surface, accompanied by slurps. Whether this was from Smallmouth/other fish or schoolies, I can’t tell. Between the first reported catches of stripers in the same waters and the first herring sighting, there was ~16-18 days between each of their arrivals. Mind you that these stripers were almost surely holdovers.

I bring all of this here because I want to know which other telltale signs you know of that can be heard and seen that I have been blind to all of these Springs. Despite the temps on the water being nearly identical to 2023, I haven’t seen many elvers, nor have I seen any Herring jumping or moving on the surface at all, even at night.

Edited by Blugill
coherency edit

I fished way up inside a southside estuary last night end of the outgoing tide. The water seemed to me to be much colder than it usually is on April 22. The Osprey looked very hungry too.

I saw a dead 24" striper washed up on shore in Buz B. yesterday. Maybe figure out a plant that is just starting to bloom and use that as a yearly  starting point? When the lilacs started to bloom in Vt. the stripers were up in Hampton Harbor. That's worked when I used to chase them around there.

19 hours ago, Blugill said:

Hey guys,

For the past week while anticipating a striped bass on my line, I have started to try piecing together correlations between the environment and my past Spring firsts of the year.

Last year, I caught my first fish a day after seeing the Herring being disturbed on the surface at sunset. Nothing crazy, but you can see the dribbles along the surface every so often.

This was nearly one week after the first giant wave of elvers invaded the river. At night, there were tons of those baby eels swimming along the surface, accompanied by slurps. Whether this was from Smallmouth/other fish or schoolies, I can’t tell. Between the first reported catches of stripers in the same waters and the first herring sighting, there was ~16-18 days between each of their arrivals. Mind you that these stripers were almost surely holdovers.

I bring all of this here because I want to know which other telltale signs you know of that can be heard and seen that I have been blind to all of these Springs. Despite the temps on the water being nearly identical to 2023, I haven’t seen many elvers, nor have I seen any Herring jumping or moving on the surface at all, even at night.

:th:

20 hours ago, Blugill said:

I bring all of this here because I want to know which other telltale signs you know of that can be heard and seen that I have been blind to all of these Springs. 

There's too many factors, so I go by catches....

Once the stripers hit RI + south side of the islands....then it's about a week until they hit the Cape....2 weeks until Plymouth/Boston....3 weeks until north shore up to NH....

12 hours ago, jigmaster5 said:

There's too many factors, so I go by catches....

Once the stripers hit RI + south side of the islands....then it's about a week until they hit the Cape....2 weeks until Plymouth/Boston....3 weeks until north shore up to NH....

Would this rule of thumb roughly count for holdover activity too? Or are the skewed distribution of holdover populations between these locations too different to time a sequence? The last week of April is more often than not the usual time I catch my first Striper. The holdover search in my waters before April has been borderline masochistic, as they tend to just shut down and refuse to bite/reveal themselves until this time of year. I am also starting to scratch my head, as I haven't seen a single nervous herring, nor many elvers (week late vs 2023). Must be a late, colder start with the absence of those curveball 70-80+ degree days this year 

6 hours ago, Blugill said:

I am also starting to scratch my head, as I haven't seen a single nervous herring, nor many elvers (week late vs 2023).

When I used to fish holdovers, they would get way more active when the 1st herring would show up....which led the main body of migrating stripers by a few weeks.

5 hours ago, jigmaster5 said:

When I used to fish holdovers, they would get way more active when the 1st herring would show up....which led the main body of migrating stripers by a few weeks.

Consensus might be that I’m not fishing enough then, or wrong spots. Nothing a little gasoline can’t fix