Hey NJ

Rate this topic

19 hours ago, Mike said:

That color pattern is called "Jersey Killer." It was first developed by Skip Smith, now Skippy's Cedar Works, back in the late 90s or early 2000s when Skip was working with Lefty Carr. Skip took over painting and made that chartreuse green top/bottom pattern over bone or off white. It was named on a trip to Montauk where the Jersey guys were banging fish on it and were the only ones who had it.

Look at you with the history lesson!!!

I found the story as told by Skippy on the Zuckerberg. Here it is followed by a pic of his 2023 version.

“The Jersey Killer”

Gets its name in 2001, but let’s take a look at its beginning. 

In 1996 I started helping Lefty with his Lures. There on a Saturday everything is going well. That is till we run out of yellow paint. 

No problem, I tell him I will run to Freehold art and grab a bottle. 

Well I get there, and they are out of yellow, I decide to buy something almost similar, on the tag it read Brite Yellow, looking back it was clearly Chartreuse. 

I get back to the house and Lefty clearly was not excited. When I left that day he still had not sprayed any plugs with it.

I return the next day and there are a half dozen plugs freshly sprayed with the new paint, originally only the top half, at first it did not have the bottom stripe also, but it looks great! I want to swim one!

We took a dozen to the show, spring season came and Lefty started getting feedback, the color was a success. 

Over the next couple of years it would become my favorite, to the point I no longer carried a plug bag cause it was the only plug I was using.

“2001”

Sept. 2001 I have taken off on that Friday the plan was to leave my house at 2:00 am taking my van to Montauk for what we heard is a killer bite going on at the time. 

Well Billy gets to my house we are loading up the van, we close his rod in the rear doors, now we are in my basement doing a rod repair. 

Because of our mishap we get a late start, ended up leaving my house around 4am. 

Only a fisherman can understand the feeling of being off to fish , and not fishing! 

We went through Long Island fast, I hope we were not careless.

It was probably near 10am when we parked in the upper lot. We geared up and ended up below the Lighthouse.

It appeared as though we had missed the bite, everyone sitting staring at the water with the saddest of faces. Few people were fishing, but it did not deter us. 

We climbed down just north of the tower, and claimed our rocks. We were doing the best we could, with the doubting crowd watching and judging. 

Well Billy hooked up,, it was a small bass but at least he caught something. It was probably only about 20”, we heard someone yell, “ Looks like a Jersey Keeper “ as he released it. All we could do was smile and laugh and get ourselves back to fishing.

It happens, bang! I know right away it is a good fish, at the time I probably thought it was bigger than it actually was. I go through the motions and I have a bass around 17 pounds, I’m keeping this one, as walk to the landing to find a place to stash it people are rushing by me to get back to fishing, they are thinking it must be time. 

I walked back to the van and put the fish in my cooler. When I get back to the lighthouse fishing spots are limited. I make my way down and squeeze into a spot. 

No one is catching, except for my fish and Billy’s short we have not seen another fish. 

I was not back at it for long when it happened. Bang! I am hooked up again, when all is said and done I have the twin of the fish I had just put in the cooler. 

We feel good, caught 3 fish, the only ones we seen and there were dozens of guys putting in effort. 

As we walked off the jetty I was stopped,”What is it you are using there”? Was his question. 

After I respond, “One of my own plugs” they are giving it the eyeball.

“A Legend Gets it’s Name”

That rest of the day would be uneventful, lunch, naps, getting gear ready for the evening bite. We would BBQ Stripers before hitting the LightHouse at sunset.

When we walk into the rock pile there were some of the faces we had seen that morning, 

Then we heard it, “Show so&so that JerseyKiller of yours”. 

That would be how the plug was referred to for the next couple of days, and the nearly 20 years since.

Screenshot_20240424_150854_Facebook.jpg

"Depend not on fortune, but on conduct."

11 hours ago, bassmaster said:

Good read

Color matters,

I need some lures I ran out of, 

I mix both colors fir teh plug

The needle kicks butt.

Mistakes work or what you don't think does. 

ddd0c3bc-d547-489f-90ac-c201c532f76c.jpg

You chucking those? Just leave 'em by the trash barrel. I'll pick 'em up in the morning. :cool:

Pfantum Pfishah

On 4/23/2024 at 8:11 AM, Sparky said:

20221125_081839.jpg.373eea8df80b6c746a1f6d49e023d702.jpg

Minty Fresh is the new Bone.

man I made a few plugs like that round nose and damn dude.

I have one in Garbage killer one in blue pink white and damn there a magnet

thats a great plug Bubbah

is it hot fishin fer U guys , not sure when it peters on u guys

Plug Ho!

bassmaster_skunk.gif

Yo, David...next time you are painting some stuff....do me a favor and write something meaningful on a plug and send it to me for my coffee table please...I'll make room for something from you :love: 

tims-plug-coffee-table.jpg

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

23 mins ago, TimS said:

Yo, David...next time you are painting some stuff....do me a favor and write something meaningful on a plug and send it to me for my coffee table please...I'll make room for something from you :love: 

tims-plug-coffee-table.jpg

what would ya like, not sure when ill get to makin some stuff, Im all over teh place here werkin on crap,   Ill make sure I make some candy for ya to toss  an 1 for the  table.  maybe a mohowk plug haha.

maybe a jersey killer needle ,  limetruce bone limetruce , im all out i made 2 an lost them to seals  I mix all teh paints, deadly plug .

make sure ya stay up my butt to remind me when u see me post new stuff,

Plug Ho!

bassmaster_skunk.gif

4 mins ago, bassmaster said:

what would ya like, not sure when ill get to makin some stuff, Im all over teh place here werkin on crap,   Ill make sure I make some candy for ya to toss  an 1 for the  table.  maybe a mohowk plug haha.

maybe a jersey killer needle ,  limetruce bone limetruce , im all out i made 2 an lost them to seals  I mix all teh paints, deadly plug .

make sure ya stay up my butt to remind me when u see me post new stuff,

I don't care what the plug is...or what color it is...I care more about it being personalized for either me or SOL...so write something on it...whatever you want...but something interesting :) That table is filled with interesting stuff from SOL builders...and I do have your mohawk needlefish...but I fished it...and caught fish on it. So I'd like something to put in there that is unfished...but with some David type personal writing on there...something that will make people think or laugh when they visit and read it :beers: 

You'll figger it out...you know what I'm talking about :)

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.