Wader patching

Rate this topic

I’m sure there’s a forum already made about this but what’s the fastest way to patch waders , I know about the aqua seal kits and what not but any other faster ways that stuff says you gotta wait 24 hours so looking for something faster 

30 mins ago, steveo905 said:

I've used  GEAR AID Aquaseal FD Flexible Durable Repair Adhesive and Cure Accelerator. This has a dry time of about 2 hours. I try to dry the waders as best I can before applying. The cure accelerator also makes the adhesive spread out smoother.

Sweet thank you 

I use that too. The accelerant/thinner is called cotol-13. A little tricky to dispense. If you a very small pipette that would work. I use a little toothpick and add drop by drop. Don't need a lot you can look up the proportions. Need to work fast with it as it sets up pretty fast. I didn't find it makes it spread out easier but opposite as it sets up pretty fast. But probably has to do on mix proportions. I might over add the cotol. 

I never wait 24 horus with aquaseal just overnight. Actually prefer to use the seam grip which I believe is a thinner version of aquaseal. LL Bean recommended this, it does a better job than aquaseal because its thinner and just makes neater less obtrusive patches. 

I have the cotol 13 for when I want to be able to get back out there real fast. 

Waterproof patch and seal tape works for quick fixes on the water. Preferably applied from the inside and out. Afterwards I'll Aquaseal over the tape, concentrating around the edges. As others have said Cotol 13.

In an emergency I've used duct tape and sealed the edges with a quick acting superglue.

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333

1 min ago, Wave afterwave said:

I used aqua seal on the small holes and slices that I had in the waders , but also grabbed a can of flex seal spray and sprayed that all over the seams around the boot seams , crotch seam basically everywhere 

Dang wish you had mentioned that in the OP. I would have suggested getting the seam grip to go over seams. I have no experience base on the flex seal spray but concern would be that it is not going to work or help however would help prevent a future aquaseal patch job from adhering. Aquaseal is a problem on that too in that aquaseal won't adhere too well to old aquaseal.  

I put the seam grip over seams that I know are going to be a problem or wear down over time. Have had good luck with it on this. Better than aquaseal on that as makes for a less thick and stiff final product. 

There really is no short cut.

Cotol will speed up the cure time a little bit.

Waders need to dry completely first. This means dry on the outside and then dry on the inside (turned inside out). Many hours even in the sun especially neoprene socks which is were I have most problems.

Hook holes and seam leaks can repair a little faster.

I patch both inside and out again time consuming.

Best bet is to have 2 pair of waders so you don’t have unwanted down time out of the water.

On 4/22/2024 at 7:36 PM, TopStriperAngler said:

What brand waders u using

I have cheap pairs I think one might be frog togs the other is paramont brands that like dicks sporting good carry , I used aqua seal on the insides seems and also sprayed em with flex seal , seemed to work I only had my left ankle slightly wet last night ,

so going to get more of the rubber goo or aqua seal and do the left side better 

8 hours ago, Wave afterwave said:

I have cheap pairs I think one might be frog togs the other is paramont brands that like dicks sporting good carry , I used aqua seal on the insides seems and also sprayed em with flex seal , seemed to work I only had my left ankle slightly wet last night ,

so going to get more of the rubber goo or aqua seal and do the left side better 

I would suggest keeping the aquaseal on the outside for patching purposes. 

Do you know the flash light trick? Get a bright flash light go in a pitch black room and shine the flash light through the inside of the waders and look for a pinpoint of light. If you find it, circle it with a marker and patch it. 

I like to patch the seams with seam grip on the outside. I actually do a protective covering pretty much right when I get the waders. From the knees down over the seams. These are LL Beans. There seams pretty good. 

The aquaseal and flex seal spray both worked pretty well , I only have a small leak on the left inside leg left , now just gotta patch that and there keeping me dry so that’s what the goal was 

the flex seal works for sure if your ever in need , not on huge holes but it works