RI Fish Report Blog, April 22 - April 28

Rate this topic

The Rhode Island Fish Blog was created as a common communal gathering place to share and report weekly fishing activity. Having this information rightly available in one weekly thread benefits those who greatly use this RI forum and ply our local waters with a fishing rod.

The premise is to gather all weekly reports into one common portal, thus making it easy to access, view and add your own reports and comments.   This is the seventh year for this unique approach. Please post your success or skunks, either way, black or white, zero to hero, let us all share this information.  Fresh, factual information is one of the best sources of Intel we have for better fishing tomorrow.

School stripers are starting to trickle into the shallow coves and estuaries in the Upper Bay.  It’s been slower than expect with the cooler weather we’ve been having, keeping the water temperature down.

Lots of rain, run-of and surging rivers is also a factor. A warmer trend this week should spark some activity with more push of fresh migration. Holdovers (stripers) that have moved off their winter station are chasing mummies and shrimp in the shallow locations where the spartina shoots are coming to life. Time to dust off that rod and do some prospecting. 

Trout fishing has been a blast for my eight year old grandson who taken like a duck to water learning how to fly fish.  He safely returned 11-17 nice rainbows in a children’s pond. Fresh water high levels and currents remain too strong in most rivers to fish them efficiently.

thumbnail (21).jpg

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail (31).jpg

Nothing flies by me without a hook!
If my fly is down, That's a good thing.

Public Access.....It's a shore thing. My daily requirement of "Vitamin Sea".

Capt. Ray Stachelek

Upper bay has some life. Small tins worked for me. I tried several spots the eastern spots were better than the western locations. 20 & 21 caught and released on a 1/2 deadly dick. 

God speed in your travels over the 195 dumpster fire.

4 mins ago, Zubinac said:

God speed in your travels over the 195 dumpster fire.

I traveled over the Wash Bridge twice in both directions the other morning on a weekday. It was O dark 30 when I went over it eastbound and empty of vehicles. At 730 AM, returning over the bridge westbound was no problem, but the eastbound traffic backup looked horrendous. Timing...

Pfantum Pfishah

Splashed the boat for the first time this new season. 

We had a great tide, but so cold and windy, never did make it in the upper bay.

Spent a few hours in protective waters in Greenwich Bay. 

One small striper to show for it caught on a small 4 inch swimming plug. 

thumbnail4.jpg

Nothing flies by me without a hook!
If my fly is down, That's a good thing.

Public Access.....It's a shore thing. My daily requirement of "Vitamin Sea".

Capt. Ray Stachelek

The fishery is definitely upside down, def a lack of smaller fish around that we usually see.  The weather has been rough but keeps the fairweather crowds down, cranking wind last night but stuck it out and was rewarded with a schoolie, some dropped fish, and my first overslot class fish.  Earliest in the season for me.

Another outing with slot fish (some just over and some just under) out front. 

Lots of bait around and the birds were helpful in pointing the way. Every fish had at least one pogy in it, some had 2+.

20240425_073109.jpg.f70dbf6247bf477ffbd979e67435860c.jpg

Lure of the day....redfin

Not looking forward to the inevitable skunk.

Edited by dangingras
cuz

5 hours ago, Kooky said:

The fishery is definitely upside down, def a lack of smaller fish around that we usually see.  The weather has been rough but keeps the fairweather crowds down, cranking wind last night but stuck it out and was rewarded with a schoolie, some dropped fish, and my first overslot class fish.  Earliest in the season for me.

Yeah, I am surprised at the size of the stripers and the Pogies. Looks like the stripers followed the big bait.

Edited by dangingras

Put the boat in today ,latest  its ever been .

tomorrow is the pick of the week  /at least the weatherman said that .

not going fishing / no reason .. I guess  physically & mentally  I,m about done .

no sign on the boat ,,,,,,but its for sale ><><>

still alot  of bAss COMING IN   /more so  on this moon .,

ENJOY    

I was able to scratch a limit of male tog today in the yak and tagged another keeper that swam. It's not fast and furious out there, honestly I would comfortably call it slow. You really have to work for em. Water temp got to 50.7 before dropping off. Another week and it should be good. That said I found scup (about a dozen) today so they are showing up. Not open yet but they were mixed in with the Tog and kept the rod bent.

So yesterday, I took a dual Wareham, MA to SoCo, RI (also brief Narragansett stop) trip in an attempt to score my first saltwater fish of the year...and it was a strike out. The only hit I had was while in Wareham, where I briefly (5-6 seconds) hooked up to what felt like a smallish striper before it spit the hook. Completely blanked, including no hits, in RI. Didn't see anyone else scoring either (did get a few 'caught one this morning' reports), until the last stop, where I did see someone pick up a 12" (or less) micro. I'm sometimes a bit envious if I see others catching and I'm not...but I wasn't particularly  bothered in that case...lol. he upside was at least there was (sparse) signs of life. 

Did have a question though - I stopped in a shop and picked up these tiny 4" albie snax knock offs called Lil Jimmy Customs 4" Stogies. I only picked up a couple of packs of the pearl (6 packs)...but I"m now thinking of pick up a few more, but can't find these on line. As far as I recall, there was pearl, pink and amber, and I"m thinking of a few more packs of pearl as well as a couple of packs each of pink and amber. The pink and amber seemed pretty interesting for a worm hatch. And while I primarily fly fish worm hatches, I could see throwing a few of these if in a spin fishing frame of mind.

36 mins ago, albacized said:

So yesterday, I took a dual Wareham, MA to SoCo, RI (also brief Narragansett stop) trip in an attempt to score my first saltwater fish of the year...and it was a strike out. The only hit I had was while in Wareham, where I briefly (5-6 seconds) hooked up to what felt like a smallish striper before it spit the hook. Completely blanked, including no hits, in RI. Didn't see anyone else scoring either (did get a few 'caught one this morning' reports), until the last stop, where I did see someone pick up a 12" (or less) micro. I'm sometimes a bit envious if I see others catching and I'm not...but I wasn't particularly  bothered in that case...lol. he upside was at least there was (sparse) signs of life. 

Did have a question though - I stopped in a shop and picked up these tiny 4" albie snax knock offs called Lil Jimmy Customs 4" Stogies. I only picked up a couple of packs of the pearl (6 packs)...but I"m now thinking of pick up a few more, but can't find these on line. As far as I recall, there was pearl, pink and amber, and I"m thinking of a few more packs of pearl as well as a couple of packs each of pink and amber. The pink and amber seemed pretty interesting for a worm hatch. And while I primarily fly fish worm hatches, I could see throwing a few of these if in a spin fishing frame of mind.

Large Albie Snax in amber is a great lure. Had a bunch of fish this Saturday on them. Looks just like a squid

IMG_0247.jpeg