Black Hole Suzuki 801L

Rate this topic

Hi everyone. About to start a build on this 801L blank. This will be the 4th rod that I built, my previous build was the 10 suzki surf rod. I would like to build this as a casting rod for a bait caster. Ive never built a casting rod. Does anybody have a guideline for how many guides I should use as well as the size? Thanks!

This thread also interests me as well, maybe if I give it a bump, somebody will weigh in.
Normally, they ask for a reel size, line size/type and what type of guides, you want to use?

Where you’ll be using it, sandy beaches or jetty? That’s also going to play a factor in what type of guides, you’ll want to use as well.

Not familiar with this blank.

At 8’ for use with a bait caster you could start with a KW 20 or 16 and work your way down from there.

Single foots to size 6 the rest the way. Think you will need about 9 guides plus the tip.

I’m not a bait cast guy so don’t take my input as definitive.

There will be others here with a better answer.

It’s your build so make it the way you want.

6 hours ago, ExcessiveAngler said:

This thread also interests me as well, maybe if I give it a bump, somebody will weigh in.
Normally, they ask for a reel size, line size/type and what type of guides, you want to use?

Where you’ll be using it, sandy beaches or jetty? That’s also going to play a factor in what type of guides, you’ll want to use as well.

Thanks for the advice. I plan on using a 301 tranx, and 9-10 guides starting with 20 going down to 8. From the sounds of it may want to use a 6 size instead. I will be using this rod from a boat throwing soft plastics and smaller stick baits. 

That being said I have a 5000 saragosa that I think would pair nice with this blank as well. I'll be sure to post pictures when I decide on spinning vs bait casting.