Leaky valve stems

Wondering how common it is to have leaky valve stems after a trip on the beach? Between second half of last year and two trips this year it's happened to me. Swapping out the inserts. In 2 cases I could see how it looked like the insert was sitting cock eyed. Is it common or do I have to just be more careful when airing up? Considered using extensions so if I do get cockeyed the actual stem insert isn't affected. 

TIA!

I drive a '21 Taco if that is relevant.

Frank, Do you use the tire delaters  on the market? The one's that screw on your valve to let the air out to a set PSI. Then you take them off and replace the stem cap.

Capt, Frank Mundus. The man, the myth, the legand.

27 mins ago, hunter123 said:

Frank, Do you use the tire delaters  on the market? The one's that screw on your valve to let the air out to a set PSI. Then you take them off and replace the stem cap.

Yes I do use deflators. Nice kit came with deflator's, gauge, spare valve inserts and tool. Also had a plug kit on board. but glue had dried up. oh well. my thought is that the stems are a bit close to the rim and maybe I had buggered one up trying to get air hose connected. first time it. happened I could see the insert was slightly bent. and caps go right back on when airing down and up. 

just plugged it so now gotta go out and put the tire back on. (I'm getting too old for this sh#$#)

• 2 weeks later...

I believe the part of the stem you push in to add or let out air are made of aluminum. Anyway they bend easily. The old ones were brass and held up for years. They don’t make them like they used to. Carry Spare cores and spare caps. 

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, if you havn't figured it out yet, sand and valve stems don't mix. If you lose a cap or even just deflating/inflating the tires in a sandy or muddy environment you are likely to get some sand into the valve stem eventually, and that is just a recipe for leaks since the sand will prevent the valve from sealing properly. You really need to keep a small plastic box full of replacement valve stem cores and the valve caps as others have already said. I keep mine in my glove box.