Barry Thurston Rods Nantucket

Rate this topic

S Hook

I went shad fishing with a friend today and we got back to his house he asked me if I wanted some of his Dad’s rods and reels since he doesn’t surf fish.  He brought out some custom-made Barry Thurston rods, and some Daiwa reels.  I was overjoyed to have them, I just cleaned them up a little bit and they look very nice. Anybody know any history on these rods or tell me anything about them? Thanks!

IMG_8730.jpeg

IMG_8731.jpeg

IMG_8732.jpeg

IMG_8733.jpeg

IMG_8734.jpeg

Edited by S Hook

Those are "classic" Thurston rods.The wire guides are Varmac guides.Needing a closer look at the others.But I believe they are Fuji BSHG guides [the inner ring next to the frame has a light green tint?]. The guide wrap is most likely Gudebrod thread.Possibly Holland Belding Co.thread. The blank "could" be Harnell [heavy] or Lamiglas[closer look at the grain of the blank].White crutch tip butts is a trade mark of his rods.They were hardly ever used too. That's a great friend.............:hugs:

Posted (edited)
46 mins ago, theshadow said:

Those are "classic" Thurston rods.The wire guides are Varmac guides.Needing a closer look at the others.But I believe they are Fuji BSHG guides [the inner ring next to the frame has a light green tint?]. The guide wrap is most likely Gudebrod thread.Possibly Holland Belding Co.thread. The blank "could" be Harnell [heavy] or Lamiglas[closer look at the grain of the blank].White crutch tip butts is a trade mark of his rods.They were hardly ever used too. That's a great friend.............:hugs:

Wow! Great info. Thank you. Couple more pictures. The guides definitely have a green tint.

IMG_8741.jpeg

IMG_8740.jpeg

IMG_8739.jpeg

IMG_8737.jpeg

Edited by S Hook

Posted (edited)

Could I use braided line on those rods and reels or should I stick with mono?

Would you recommend coating the wraps with polyurethane, varnish, to protect?

Definitely got to take one for a walk down the beach. See if I can get a bass on one.

Edited by S Hook

Well,there was no braid in those days.The 3 Fuji guides and tip top[same material] will handle braid. The next wire guide down could possibly groove over time. Staying with mono on the reels and rod will keep the setup "classic".Older reels seem to be not friendly with braid.I had issues with old penn reels and braid. The blanks could be Lamiglas painted then finished[factory] too. The rods were "slow" mostly. Tossing pencil poppers and Roberts rangers on the Eastside to Great Point and southside behind the sewerbeds down to Madaket for big blues was a blast in the 80s.Those rods loaded half way down the blank.Some joked that "You could smoke a cigarette in the time it took the rod loaded and cast the lure".

I would not do anything to the finishes.Just keep them clean and wipe the rod down when home. The finish seems to be Flex-Coat but not sure.There were others on the market then.Both 2 part and single coat finish.Clemens had Crystal Coat and Guedbrod had a single coat and a varnish.Plus a couple of others that slip my mind.Possibly some others here would remember.

You could post these pictures in the rod building thread and get more input  Personnally I love the old Lamiglas rods.Still have blanks from the early 80s in the rack that "I'll build some day!".

4 hours ago, theshadow said:

I don't think that Harnell ever made a 1 piece blank longer than 10', and the 2 on the left look to me like 11' or more. My guess, without seeing them in detail, is that they're smooth black Lami BSB blanks.

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver

8 hours ago, gregwa said:

I have a black fisher blank I built years ago that look simular.I put fuju bsvlg on it but those rings and wraps are older

Says made in 1981 on the rods.

22 hours ago, Roy C said:

Barry made me a rod in 1980. It is 9 ft fairly stiff and black. If I remember right he told me it was a Fisher blank. Still a great rod. 

Oh! forgot about Fisher -Kennedy. Great blanks.