Radiant options?

Rate this topic

Up next on my schedule is renovating our second bathroom, designed around requests from MIL. 

House has forced hot air and ac through same in floor vents. I have full access to area underneath, but am thinking of an electric mat installed under the tile with its own electrical switch. Thoughts and experiences welcome.

If you're re-doing the tile anyway, sure, do the electric mat. But if not, there's joist bay "suspended" systems, where you put the heat in the joist bay and insulate under it creating a heat pocket that heats the floor above. I did this with hydronic to my terrazzo floored kitchen and the bath next to it, and it worked like charm. You could do it easily running a PEX zone from your water heater. 

I did sister #4's bathroom a couple years back. Complete re-do. She had had her old electric heat re-done a few years before, with forced air and a.c. Only electric strip left was in the bath. I talked her into getting rid of it and putting the heat mat in the floor under the new tile. Piece of cake, and she loves it. Stat is next to the light switches. Well worth the extra cost. 

4 hours ago, gray gables said:

Absolutely do it. I've done a few, customers love it. 

20210715_140021.jpg

20210702_095519.jpg

20210702_095527.jpg

Wifey wants it on the shower walls (not an approved application) and floor when we finally do our bathroom.  :laugh:

I am presently leaning towards the Schluter system, if only because my electrician has installed theirs and spoke highly of it. Prices are all over the place. Probably get a quote through my Floor and Decor commercial account.

I don't really have a need for a Wi-Fi programable thermostat, do I? This is not a smart home... No Alexa, no Wi-Fi main thermostat. 

On 4/23/2024 at 9:24 AM, nightfighter said:

I am presently leaning towards the Schluter system, if only because my electrician has installed theirs and spoke highly of it. Prices are all over the place. Probably get a quote through my Floor and Decor commercial account.

I don't really have a need for a Wi-Fi programable thermostat, do I? This is not a smart home... No Alexa, no Wi-Fi main thermostat. 

I like the Nest thermostats because they're so much easier to program on a phone than screwing around cycling through 20 menus on an old school thermostat. Don't care about all the 'learning' crap. So if you want to set the timer to warm up the floor before the morning shower, it's just easier.