Stumping!

Rate this topic

Gilbey

19 mins ago, Gilbey said:

IMG_7789.jpeg.61fd54454aed6b3bd8cf73133ec6c750.jpegIMG_7788.jpeg.a52f3ea02295fe58146e478c68225daf.jpegMy dad always taught me to use the right tool for the job. I’ve got about 20 ash stumps to grind. I rented the beast this time and it’s living up to its name. Plus I get to play with heavy equipment all day!! 

That's a lot nicer than the grinders you can rent from Home Depot.

3 hours ago, DMacLeod said:

Shhh.   I'm in no hurry for it to wake up.

Had to do the first full lawn cut this weekend! 

That grinder was an 80 horsepower unit. I have used grinders 5-6 times in the past, but they were always the smaller, walk behind units that took 30 minutes to grind a 15" stump fully. This one took more like 3 minutes for the same sized stump. Even some of the bigger ones that were 24"+ were less than ten minutes! It cost more for the day, but well worth it! 

3 mins ago, Angiebio said:

that looks like the way to do it in short order – – getting serious about the stumping. We’ve dug a couple out by hand & it was not easy!

Digging them is hell. Dirty job.

I'll ignore your cheap aroma,

and your little-bo-peep diploma,

I'll just put you in a coma,

with some dirty love-

Merica is a strange place, where cups of coffee come with a warning label but you can rent heavy equipment! I've got a stump to deal with, but it's in a rowhouse backyard with no direct access except through a basement, and has a chainlink fence growing through it to boot. Going to try Stump Out.

15 hours ago, gellfex said:

Going to try Stump Out.

That stuff works, but it takes a LONG time. In your case due to access, it might be the best plan. Or just cut it off flush and put a potted plant on it! 

On 4/28/2024 at 5:09 PM, gellfex said:

Merica is a strange place, where cups of coffee come with a warning label but you can rent heavy equipment! I've got a stump to deal with, but it's in a rowhouse backyard with no direct access except through a basement, and has a chainlink fence growing through it to boot. Going to try Stump Out.

There's always the dynamite option. :bucktooth:

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2024 at 5:17 PM, DMacLeod said:

There's always the dynamite option. :bucktooth:

ammonium nitrate, diesel fuel, kicker charge.  Done.  Plus, the kids love it.  You're welcome.  (just don't put any of those terms into the search engine.....).