Jump to content

New Shark rules in NY

Rate this topic


BrianBM

Recommended Posts

I'm not a big fan of shore-based shark fishing.  The mortality rate for the released fish must be astronomical.  I just saw some guys that caught a large mako from shore using a drone to get the bait out.  They had that fish all the way up on the said to take pictures and claimed it was released unharmed.  I find that hard to believe.  

"I just do what the voices in my tackle box tell me to do."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 mins ago, bass-o-matic said:

I'm not a big fan of shore-based shark fishing.  The mortality rate for the released fish must be astronomical.  I just saw some guys that caught a large mako from shore using a drone to get the bait out.  They had that fish all the way up on the said to take pictures and claimed it was released unharmed.  I find that hard to believe.  

I bet these goobers in the YouTube killed the one that washed up… timing and location are a match.

 

 

 

 

IMG_5749.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, CWitek said:

That's the proposed regulation, not the final version.  Among other things, the hook size restriction was not included in the final regulation.

 

New York makes it virtually impossible to find the final rule, insisting on providing dumbed-down summaries (it has not updated the relevant sections on its website, nor has it listed any rule adopted since January on its "recently adopted regulations" page, but hook restriction are not a part of the final rule.

 

Whoops apologies everyone, didn't mean to confuse / mislead / misdirect at all.

The State of New York and DEC refer people to Westlaw to read the regs but the section hasn't not been updated online. Came across this and since it was hosted by DEC and didn't have draft amendment in the title I thought it was final. That's what I get for assuming things.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

I wonder when the Final Rule will finally issue?

It's actually out there.  I found it once this morning, thought that I copied the website address, and went to post it in my above post.  

 

Turns out that I hadn't put the address into memory before I closed the page, and although I tried, I couldn't find it again.

 

The new, improved DEC website is not easy to navigate.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe this ? https://dec.ny.gov/sites/default/files/2024-04/ExpTermShark.pdf

 

Recently Adopted Regulations

6 NYCRR Part 40 - Marine Fish (Sharks)

This rulemaking amends gear restrictions for recreational shore anglers to enhance law enforcement's ability to protect sharks. These amendments will establish maximum hook sizes and maximum metal leader lengths for shore anglers, limits the deployment of baited hooks to rod and reel only for shore anglers, and prohibits chumming near shore. The proposed rulemaking also adds new handling and release methods for all sharks to improve both shark and angler safety.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The "Text of Proposed Regulation" doesn't cause me any agita. No limit on hook sizes (that part, as applied to circle hooks, struck me as particularly pointless.) I can use my Eagle Claw 9/0 circles in the wash in NY. Bass don't need wire. Bluefish I'd rather chase on tins anyhow, and a bluefish would need to be a 60-lb. fish in order to swallow a 9/0 circle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/20/2024 at 7:41 AM, hydraman said:

I agree with NY being awful but it’s not a terrible place to live and something had to be done about all the idiots.  The people are awful that’s the bigger problem learn to cast your rod. This is a good thing.  

The idiots and social media glamor Queens are who ruined it for every state that has dropped stricter regs.

 

It all started with Delaware and the "hero" shots being posted.

 

And whether anyone wants to believe it or not the fishing groups on FB, as well as YouTube channels get watched heavily by fish and game officials and they have been known to use pics and videos posted as evidence to file charges

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, JerseyJeb said:

Maybe this ? https://dec.ny.gov/sites/default/files/2024-04/ExpTermShark.pdf

 

Recently Adopted Regulations

6 NYCRR Part 40 - Marine Fish (Sharks)

This rulemaking amends gear restrictions for recreational shore anglers to enhance law enforcement's ability to protect sharks. These amendments will establish maximum hook sizes and maximum metal leader lengths for shore anglers, limits the deployment of baited hooks to rod and reel only for shore anglers, and prohibits chumming near shore. The proposed rulemaking also adds new handling and release methods for all sharks to improve both shark and angler safety.

 

Yes.

 

That's the information that I found yesterday morning, lost, and could not find again.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, DerrickT said:

The idiots and social media glamor Queens are who ruined it for every state that has dropped stricter regs.

 

It all started with Delaware and the "hero" shots being posted.

 

And whether anyone wants to believe it or not the fishing groups on FB, as well as YouTube channels get watched heavily by fish and game officials and they have been known to use pics and videos posted as evidence to file charges

There should be no surprise that Delaware was the first state to require in-water release.

 

The mishandling of already overfished or otherwise vulnerable species forced the state agencies' hand.

 

If dead sand tigers (in particular, although there were other prohibited species) that were clearly not killed in nets hadn't started washing up on Long Island beaches, I suspect that this never would have become an issue.  Hero shots of bozos sitting on sharks hauled up on dry sand,m prying their snouts backward to show off the teeth, also undoubtedly helped regulators see the need for restrictions.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...