New Shark rules in NY

Rate this topic

BrianBM

17 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Was there ever a commercial market for sandbar or brown sharks? Or was it simply a matter of bycatch casualties?

Yes.

The southern bottom shark longline fishery targeted them, among other species including blacktips.  They were sold in markets merely as "shark," and sometimes as "brown shark" (actually saw that here on Long Island back in the '80s).  

There is still a very small commercial fishery, as the Highly Migratory Species fishery management plan permits a very small commercial fishery, although the vessels musdt apply for and obtain one of a handful of available permits before participating.  Participation in the fishery is very low, as the market interest in the species has tapered off since the initial restrictions were adopted.
"

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

Bu by bu we lf it increase the prices cr of shark fin soup? …. Way too many jerks shore fishing for sharks on crowded beaches …. And way too many ny nj beech goers who will think nothing of sueing a shark fisherman if a shark bite happens whether ithe fish is hooked or not oooha your chum , bait attracted the shark …. It doesn’t matter your named …. The town will be named whether guilty or not … 

On 4/21/2024 at 1:52 AM, The LongIsland angler said:

Unsurprisingly theres people on here that have a problem with keeping basic shark fishing equipment like bolt-cutters. with the exception of the casting rules, all of this should already be standard procedure. Luckily environmental regulations aren't a democracy and the average braindead fisherman doesn't have a say in this.

Never could understand this. I always keep something onboard that will cut the biggest hook I have. Tested; if it fails, it gets replaced.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd

You can use a boat to go shark fishing, cage diving, shark tagging, and no restrictions from where to do it. However, you cannot use a remote control boat or drone to drop baits from shore and fish from shore. That would be illegal. 

Edited by The Riddler

2 mins ago, The Riddler said:

You can use a boat to go shark fishing, cage diving, shark tagging, and no restrictions from where to do it. However, you cannot use a remote control boat or drone to drop baits from shore and fish from shore. That would be illegal. 

IMG_3006.gif

Edited by The Riddler

Here is the link to the actual text of the law which is easier to understand than the DEC summary:
https://extapps.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/dmrrulesmfterms.pdf

EDIT: This was just a draft and not what was finalized into law.

• You only need something to cut your leader off with, you don't have to carry around full sized bolt cutters while you surf cast.

Shore based anglers cannot:

• Use a baited J hook greater than 7/8.
  • Use a baited circle hook greater than 1 1/8.
  • Use a baited hook with a metal leader longer than 12 inches.
  • Use lures to catch a shark.
  • Chum with fin fish or mammal parts.
  • Deploy a bait with a anything besides rod and reel.

None of the above applies to boats.

All anglers on land and boat must:

• Must keep all sharks besides smooth and spiney dogfish submerged in water.
  • Have something to cut leader or hook.
  • Release all sharks with undue harm.

Edited by JerseyJeb

I remember cooking and eating dogfish fifty years ago (I liked it just fine.) I remember an old angler demonstrating a cleaning technique that I've never seen before or since, popping a tube of boneless meat free of the fish by cutting up the tail, slicing a thin strip of skin all the way forward to the dorsal, which he removed; and then popped a Shark Sausage clear of the doggie.

There's a German preparation of dogfish belly flaps, "Schillerlochen," or "Schiller's Locks" (for the poet of that name.) I must find out how it's made, sometime.

So it's either 7/0 or 8/0 on hook size.

Measuring inside distance on 8/0 for both circle and j looks like they may meet the requirements. 

You'll be wasting your time with 7/0.

To bad cause 9/0 worked well.

Edited by the3fishheads

**** the U.N.

4 hours ago, JerseyJeb said:

Here is the link to the actual text of the law which is easier to understand than the DEC summary:

• You only need something to cut your leader off with, you don't have to carry around full sized bolt cutters while you surf cast.

These look like the proposed regs not the actual regs that were put in place.

**** the U.N.

Try coming down here to florida. Shore based shark fishing is being outlawed everywhere.

FWC makes you take an online course. You have to have certain equipment. You have to renew the course every year.

We here the same thing all over, if you didnt fish for the sharks they wouldnt be near the beach and it be safe to swim. People have no clue here. Spinners and blacktips are always in the trough. Hammerheads are just outside the first bar and within a mile of the beach the tigers are cruising. Food chain. But you cant tell them anything.

If you aren't fishing on the edge, you are probably blocking the channel.

14 hours ago, JerseyJeb said:

That's the proposed regulation, not the final version.  Among other things, the hook size restriction was not included in the final regulation.

New York makes it virtually impossible to find the final rule, insisting on providing dumbed-down summaries (it has not updated the relevant sections on its website, nor has it listed any rule adopted since January on its "recently adopted regulations" page, but hook restriction are not a part of the final rule.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

I'm glad to hear that, since I have a stash of 9/0 circles, bought with Hatteras red drum in mind.

And what would the point be of limiting hook size of circle hooks, anyway? Wouldn't bigger hooks simply reduce the chance of a gut-hooked shark?