Roof racks and locking

Rate this topic

Electrical tape would slow them down unscrewing it. 

I was thinking of some kind of cable lock around the reel. They have some that you can pull a tight loop down around the reel to keep it on the rod.

I found this thread also. 

I don’t have a vehicle with roof racks, I own pickups with rod racks in the beds. Having said that questions like this are asked so much, and best answered in the beach buggy form. However, again as I always reply with this answer to these types of threads, look at Masterlock python locks. Wrap around rod/reel, your rack. Isn’t going to stop a thief it will deter or slow them down.

“I enjoy talking to you. Your mind appeals to me. It resembles my own mind except that you happen to be insane.”

3 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Never trust anyone....ever

People will always find a way to steal gear left behind...

For real. I saw a guy at Charlestown leave his VSX150 and Lami on his rack. Like bruh, you asking for it lol

8 mins ago, LockedDrag said:

For real. I saw a guy at Charlestown leave his VSX150 and Lami on his rack. Like bruh, you asking for it lol

I fished there last fall and I wanted to use 2 rods just to play around with another rod and reel. I brought a sand spike and just kept the second rod behind me because I didn't want to leave it at my vehicle...

troll #122  <*)))<

32 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I fished there last fall and I wanted to use 2 rods just to play around with another rod and reel. I brought a sand spike and just kept the second rod behind me because I didn't want to leave it at my vehicle...

I just keep my backup rod in my car or if I have an extra top section, I bring that. I’d only leave a rod on a rack if it’s 1pc. Definitely not reels though. If they can’t get the whole reel, they can always just be petty and take the spool/handle lol

12 mins ago, LockedDrag said:

I just keep my backup rod in my car or if I have an extra top section, I bring that. I’d only leave a rod on a rack if it’s 1pc. Definitely not reels though. If they can’t get the whole reel, they can always just be petty and take the spool/handle lol

Yeah, nothings fool proof. If you do secure the rod and reel the spool is still fair game. I make my own, 1/4 inch coated cable and some cable crimps. Crimp a loop just big enough to pass the shank of a good lock in one end. With the rod/reel mounted in the holder wrap the cable around the cross bar and measure carefully to where a 2nd loop will just reach the reel stem and cut/crimp. The cable wraps around the cross bar and short shank lock passes thru both loops and around the reel stem. Use a short enough shank lock so the reel can't be twisted to pass thru. If you measure carefully the rod can't be moved forward enough to unscrew the seat and steal the rod either.  Again not fool proof but it's worked for me. You can wrap a few layers of tape around the lock shank so it doesn't mar up the reel stem. 

I have an aluminum carrier that bolts to my bed rail and uses one of the older metal rack a rod style mounts. It locks the reel and rod down pretty securely. I mostly made it for transporting 1 piece rods. It keeps people honest while I stop to grab a coffee. I wouldn’t leave anything expensive in it though and walk away to fish. 

• 4 weeks later...

I use electrical tape and give it a solid amount of wraps around the reel seat… which actually gives the connection a smoother feel and keeps the reel that much more secure from any loosening.

That said, they’re still not safe.  This will deter most thieves and at least slow down potential thieves enough to the point they look like they are clearly stealing and hopefully someone calls them out or they bail out. 

But if someone is targeting reels around fishing areas, they will be prepared and saw them off the rod (heard stories of that happening).

When I leave my rod/reels, 80% of the time I still have them in view (window seats at a restaurant, gas stations with glass store fronts, etc.) or I am somewhere I feel EXTREMELY confident.  But, it is an “at your own risk” endeavor. 

With that said, I think I saw a custom lockbox built on a truck one time that was bolted to the roof… looked expensive and/or time consuming.

good luck!

Edited by Broadcastmatt

7 hours ago, Broadcastmatt said:

With that said, I think I saw a custom lockbox built on a truck one time that was bolted to the roof… looked expensive and/or time consuming.

good luck!

You may have seen mine, a factory 12' lockable fiberglass box - holds 6/8 rods/reels out of sight - "Spacekap Spacetube"

I use a Rod Vault (not sure if they are still available) on the back to lock the reels in and the front is from Salt Water Edge and will also lock if you want it to. They get locked especially if I have to run into a store (food etc...). the locks keep honest people honest.

IMG_4074.jpeg.09ef6c675e06bac901e242fed1519b3f.jpeg

I LIKE PIZZA!