Portable job site table?

Rate this topic

My faithful 2'x3' folding jobsite table has gone missing after close to twenty years of service...Probably packed up in someone's kit...  So yes, I have sawhorses and a couple "tabletops" in the truck, but these small tables are essential to me when I am doing installations and assembly. Keeps my tools off the client's tables, counters, and especially off the ceramic cooktops.

So what table do you have? This was all plastic. Texted Dale @redfishkiller as he had the same one. And I have no intention of spending 430 bucks on a Bora....

Posted (edited)

Chunka, I like my Festool line up, but it is a limited line up that does not include their $700 MFT table.... And if I were a strictly shop based operation, I would build a downdraft table before getting the MFT.

Thanks to Dale/Red for sending me a pic of the table he has and I had.... Stanley Workbench. Was $29.99 when we bought them way back when...

Edited by nightfighter

I use a simple poly white table like you’d see someone use for a party table set up. Nothing fancy. To increase their height add pvc pipe as added length to the four legs. I believe it’s 1 1/4 pvc that fit over the foot of the leg, might be 1 inch. 

17 mins ago, saltfisherman said:

I use a simple poly white table like you’d see someone use for a party table set up. Nothing fancy. To increase their height add pvc pipe as added length to the four legs. I believe it’s 1 1/4 pvc that fit over the foot of the leg, might be 1 inch. 

I have one of those that's 2'x 4' with legs adjustable up to 36". It's not the type of carpentry table that the OP want's, but by far the most versatile thing for me is a couple of pieces of 3/4 ply with 30" folding legs. I use 2x4s to make it into a table with ply "filler leafs" to make it whatever length I want. Works as a saw table, or a scaffold for ceiling or wall work.  I like that the 2x4s on the topside keep me from shuffling off the side. Great for putting up crown or papering a ceiling.

image.jpeg.07a432b82473002f145ba72be6439c45.jpeg

5 hours ago, gellfex said:

I have one of those that's 2'x 4' with legs adjustable up to 36". It's not the type of carpentry table that the OP want's, but by far the most versatile thing for me is a couple of pieces of 3/4 ply with 30" folding legs. I use 2x4s to make it into a table with ply "filler leafs" to make it whatever length I want. Works as a saw table, or a scaffold for ceiling or wall work.  I like that the 2x4s on the topside keep me from shuffling off the side. Great for putting up crown or papering a ceiling.

image.jpeg.07a432b82473002f145ba72be6439c45.jpeg

Well, I learned something today. I had never heard of papering a ceiling....

2 hours ago, nightfighter said:

Well, I learned something today. I had never heard of papering a ceiling....

I was thinking the same thing as I read thru this thread. I remember seeing it done but it was really old.