A rare opportunity.......

Rate this topic

Some people here are aware of the yearly group fly fishing trip I host to the Cape, for stripers primarily, but also the other “incidentals”. I have been doing this, from Oregon, for 28 years (1 pandemic year missed), initially for up to 14 fellow fly fishers from not just Oregon but including my friends across the country.

Due to unanticipated health developments, with our roster filled months ago, we happen to have a last minute vacancy in this year's trip....which is scheduled from June 1 through June 15th.

It is very difficult to express how popular this trip has turned out to be. I have presented the trip/experience to fly clubs in OR, WA, and FL as a program over the years and 98% of those who have ever come on it stop only for age/health/family reasons. I am told consistently it is the best trip of the year; the best fishing, the cheapest travel trip, the easiest travel trip, and the most enjoyable due to the quality of the fellowship.

Initially, the trip structure began as 1 week, Mon-Fri with guides. As we became more familiar with the amazing structure of the Cape, we began investing more energy into DIY shorefishing topped off by the guide week for variety and chances at larger fish.....and/or other pelagic species. The trip this year is potentially a full, 2 week experience, with shore fishing from June 1 through June 9th, and then 2-3 days of guides in the second week amidst more shore fishing. Fishermen are roughly grouped into pairs based on a shared (rental) car and for the guide days, but guides and/or fishing partners are swapped day-to-day to experience the variety of opportunity from sight fishing flats to covering schools of breaking fish to rip fishing to deep water dredging.

We stay in a spacious, centrally located rental house (Brewster), share meals and rotate dinner responsibility between pairs. Though not waterfront, there is good fishing (tide and weather dependent) 5 minutes from the house.

The cost of the trip would vary dependent on how much of the 2 week window is used and how many guide days was wanted.......plus travel costs and, if needed split of rental car. For someone from the northwest like me the total cost for the full 2 week deal, airfare, rental car, housing, food, and guide cost should be under $3500. We have, in our opinion, the best guides on the Cape, one of them who specializes in flats sight-fishing (somewhat weather dependent) for the full 28 years.

If someone wanted to join us for part of that 2 week period we would consider it. We can and would accommodate a single woman fisher, or a couple even if both wanted to fish. Possibly someone could come for the first week of shorefishing and someone for the second week of guides plus shorefishing.

If you need more …..ah.....visual stimulation, there are numerous pictures and videos available on my websites:

www.flyfishingfotography.com

https://flyfishingfotography.smugmug.com/

If interested please contact me:

Peter Patricelli

peterpatricelli@comcast.net

541-915-7119

I realized that there is a better way to approximate the cost of the trip, which because of our long travel from here, has high airline tickets involved.  The daily lodging cost will be in the range of $60/night.  Total food costs always come in at less than $17/day.  The guide costs are the guides daily fee (average $600)+ 12% tip split 2 ways.  If someone lives close enough to drive to the Cape, there would be no rental car fee.  Otherwise the rental car fee would be 1/2 split with another in our group.

I can't quote exact costs since that would be dependent upon how many (lodging, food) days in that 2 week period a person stayed with us, how many days he went out with a guide, etc..

Learning all of our 25 year knowledge of shore fishing sites and tide patterns.....is free. 

Peter,

I am surprised you have had to reach out to such a wide audience. I did a quick reckoning and it costs me about $2700 for two weeks on the Cape travelling from the U.K. sharing a rental house and paying for my own rental car and air fare, plus food etc. No guiding in my costs so you are offering incredible value and more importantly a very special unique experience.
I hope you find someone who will slot seamlessly into your group.

mike

Mike,

I have a fistful of people who want to go.......but the late development of this opening makes it impossible for them to re-arrange long set plans.  Early June is a hot time for families, graduations, weddings, kids getting out of school, start of summer, etc.. 

1 hour ago, Peter Patricelli said:

27 conch,

I left a PM.

Call me 541-915-7119 or peterpatricelli@comcast.net.

Peter, 

If I weren't already on the similar group with the guys, (previously Mike O. And RJ) I probably would have tried to meet you, at least to say hi. (Only 50 minutes from CC).

We only do the beach group.

HT

Mike,  again sometime soon I hope, before I kick the bucket  :)

Currently have aphasia.    Aphasia is a result of my head stroke causing a bleed.   Happened in my Maine vacation in July (2021).   Lucky me less than 1% of people get stroke aphasia.  :(      I'm making project but have been told this is easily 5 months to 1 year for this to improve.   Until then hope you don't mind making sense with what I text.   HT

Chuck

I may get to the bucket before you. Waiting on a biopsy taken from my prostrate. MRI scan was not the best. Heh I am just doing what I do. Will deal with the diagnosis when I get it in the next few days. Just got home from a 3 day Trout trip to Clywedog Reservoir in Wales. Beautiful part of the world. 
Cape one day hopefully. But I am even more cranky these days. The drive to fish wins out against the drink and food and too much hanging in the garden with a nice cold one.

mike

1 hour ago, Mike Oliver said:

Chuck

I may get to the bucket before you. Waiting on a biopsy taken from my prostrate. MRI scan was not the best. Heh I am just doing what I do. Will deal with the diagnosis when I get it in the next few days. Just got home from a 3 day Trout trip to Clywedog Reservoir in Wales. Beautiful part of the world. 
Cape one day hopefully. But I am even more cranky these days. The drive to fish wins out against the drink and food and too much hanging in the garden with a nice cold one.

mike

I had emergency colostomy surgery in September which saved my life.  There has been much pain.  I had the “bag” for seven months and just recently had the stoma removed.  What has kept me going was the thought of fishing when I got better.  Trust me, I will not be throwing any plugs out front.  I have found that both Winter and Summer Flounder (bait and wait) are my new exotics and pelagics.  I am happy and I am fishing.  My prayer for you that you can find peace and happiness whatever your circumstances are.  I know I have.

On 4/21/2024 at 4:59 PM, Mike Oliver said:

Peter,

I am surprised you have had to reach out to such a wide audience. I did a quick reckoning and it costs me about $2700 for two weeks on the Cape travelling from the U.K. sharing a rental house and paying for my own rental car and air fare, plus food etc. No guiding in my costs so you are offering incredible value and more importantly a very special unique experience.
I hope you find someone who will slot seamlessly into your group.

mike

Yes, Mike, an "incredible value" but, for some, this excellent first week of June in Chatham can be so productive for bass that, after two seasons fishing it alone w/o a guide but with reference spots here on SOL, we two feel it can be done alone by a flyfisher, yes, flyfisher, at the Cape/Chatham/Refuge during the first two wks of June w/o a guide if those who'd like to try this area but are hesitant or not able to finance a guide fee, it can be done. Shore fishermen at Chatham are so friendly. Lots of shoreline to fish. Maybe those who would just like to fish Chatham but not feel they need to rent accomodations might feel this is of help. Striper spring fishing all over the N/E coast is just so good first two wks of June, that, for all of us, choose a location and just fish:))

2 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

Chuck

mike

Mike - I hope you get the best news that someone that is dealing with this can get.

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

This sounds like an awesome trip.  I have too many balls up in the air with regards to fishing and hunting to be able to make a last minute change for this otherwise I'd raise my hand.  It would be awesome to meet some of the people from this board, despite my lack of posting in the last few years this place always feels like home when I stop by and always great to see the resident cast of characters and the new members of the community.

@Mike Oliver, forgot to wish you the best with your prognosis.  One of these days would love to meet up with you.