FYI

Rate this topic

A friend was telling me this just the other day.   I gotta get down there

And you can get them for even less if you get enough friends togethter to buy in bulk.

Scallops freeze well for a short while.

DITCH TROLL

Just now, pogie_boy said:

A friend was telling me this just the other day.   I gotta get down there

And you can get them for even less if you get enough friends togethter to buy in bulk.

Scallops freeze well for a short while.

Didn't know that.   Three of us went there the other day and we all went home with pounds of scallops.  I froze most of mine.

The Sultan of Sluggo

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

Didn't know that.   Three of us went there the other day and we all went home with pounds of scallops.  I froze most of mine.

How do you guys freeze your scallops?  I seem to remember my Gramps freezing them in milk for some reason!  And he always claimed that bays were better than seas.

Edited by Jeff270

Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

If I recall correctly I believe you have to buy 50 or 100 pounds for the discounted price. 

I just put mine in a ziplock.  They didn’t stay frozen long. 

55 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

How do you guys freeze your scallops?  I seem to remember my Gramps freezing them in milk for some reason!  And he always claimed that bays were better than seas.

i always felt that myself but dry sea scallops are >>> the soaked brined ones.  So maybe they are >= bays?

DITCH TROLL

5 mins ago, pogie_boy said:

If I recall correctly I believe you have to buy 50 or 100 pounds for the discounted price. 

I just put mine in a ziplock.  They didn’t stay frozen long. 

i always felt that myself but dry sea scallops are >>> the soaked brined ones.  So maybe they are >= bays?

What pogies boy said.   We just place a portion in a Ziploc bag, squeeze out as much air as we can, seal it, freeze it. They always get eaten in a couple weeks.

Sea scallop ceviche is insane.  Once you try it it's almost a shame to cook them.

The Sultan of Sluggo

This brings back some memories!  I can remember going out with my Gramps for bays.  it was fun for awhile, then it was work.  Just getting everything setup in the boat was "interesting".    We would use the "small" boat which was 16' (or may be 18') StarCraft aluminum boat.  It was a great boat for the bay, you could haul and launch it anywhere if you had a clue.  It was always fun seeing what we had "caught", but a pain in the butt hauling it in by hand.   We had a culling board that went across the rails.  My job when I was little was to get rid of anything that wasn't edible.  The important thing was making sure the board was cleared in time for the next dump.  Gramps would give you a look and say something like "Hey Lightening, you going get that picked before the tides done?".  I would smirk and switch gears.  We would occasionally pull up flounder, which I thought was awesome.  The scallops were put in buckets and shucked once we were done dragging. Any quahogs were kept as well. 

Thinking back at all involved, $18lb is not that outrageous!

Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?