12wt for beast fleyes/triple gamechanger rigs?

Rate this topic

FelixaMerm

I have been fly fishing for stripers for about a year and my 9wt has suited me just fine. So far my biggest striper is 30 pounds which is okay for a beginner. I have seen far bigger fish which have simply refused some of the smaller presentations I have presented. I am looking to invest 3-4 hundred dollars in a 12 wt fly rod to help cast some larger beast fleyes I have tied paired with a sinking line. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated for the line grain or 12 wt manufacturer. If it helps I am fishing pretty fast current in about 15 feet of water. Also I wasn’t 100% sure if a 12wt was the tool for the job so just wanted to confirm that as well. 

i have never found the need to go with anything bigger than a 10wt for stripers.  12wt is too much rod for blind casting all day for stripers.  

I would go for a faster / stiffer 10wt or a slower softer 11wt ( which is essentially the same rod)

With good casting skills you can throw a giant fly on either rod.

personally i am a big fan of the the echo epr (fast)  or tfo blitz rods ( medium fast)

There is Echo EPR 9' 12 wt for sale in the classifies well within your budget - good fast rods (I have a 8 wt).

I have used my 12 wt in certain conditions off the boat, targeting big bass deep in heavy current with heavy lines and big flies. 

10 wt will do it, but struggled, the 12 wt worked better for me in these conditions - not a all day repetitive blind casting set up for sure.     

2 hours ago, fishstu said:

There is Echo EPR 9' 12 wt for sale in the classifies well within your budget - good fast rods (I have a 8 wt).

I have used my 12 wt in certain conditions off the boat, targeting big bass deep in heavy current with heavy lines and big flies. 

10 wt will do it, but struggled, the 12 wt worked better for me in these conditions - not a all day repetitive blind casting set up for sure.     

That Echo EPR 9’ 12 wt is for sale by me  (reel em in ) in the Fly Fishing BST Forum. Needs a new home. 
Tom

Edited by reel em in

52 mins ago, fishstu said:

Yeah the fishing I do is 100% sight fishing and I see tons of huge bass so that 12 wt seems like a good option

Felix you are new to this game. A 12 wt is a very heavy rod to cast from shore repeatably.   We can cast pike size flies with a decent 10 wt all day long. You will need a short head line Like a Rio Outbound short. More than anything you are going to need a very good cast to move these large flies around. You are attempting to go from zero to hero without passing by go. 

You are going to need a double haul to move these flies around. Finding a rod is easy. You want big flies first try flat wings. Big but not bulky. Before opening your wallet go flex a few 12 wts. Even better try and get to cast one. 
mike

If you are catching bass to 30 pounds in fast current, I'd go with the 12 wt. Bring the fish in and release it faster. 12 weights today are lighter than 10 weights from 30 years ago. Just ease into it as the season progresses. Don't go out and cast a 12 weight for 5 hours on your first trip. The first of the year fish are smaller, so start with your 9 weight and build up some  strength and resilience before switching to a 12 wt.

I've a bunch of TFO Axiom II-X 12 weights that do fine  and is in your price range. The  Axiom II is a nice casting rod but the grip is very short and comes with a short reel seat and fighting butt. Not much leverage for fishing a fish. I'm sure the Echo for sale mentioned will do the job.

Just now, FelixaMerm said:

Yeah i’ve been thinking about it for a while because of extremely limited casting room

Those will be a bit tricky to do a waterborne cast with but the musky guys do it so you will get it. 

2 mins ago, surfflyguy said:

Those will be a bit tricky to do a waterborne cast with but the musky guys do it so you will get it. 

I find taking inspiration from muskie guys is the best way to make your own unique take on striper fishing. I find it much more engaging than “traditional” striper fishing

12wt - I hope that you’re very young and very strong….

An 11 is more than enough and a lot easier to handle.  Plus, todays 11s are more like 12 vs the aftma std. the rods are stiff, the lines are overweighted….

Plus, If you can’t make it work with an 11, practice your casting.  

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

11 mins ago, MikeFlyGuy said:

If you are catching bass to 30 pounds in fast current, I'd go with the 12 wt. Bring the fish in and release it faster. 12 weights today are lighter than 10 weights from 30 years ago. Just ease into it as the season progresses. Don't go out and cast a 12 weight for 5 hours on your first trip. The first of the year fish are smaller, so start with your 9 weight and build up some  strength and resilience before switching to a 12 wt.

I've a bunch of TFO Axiom II-X 12 weights that do fine  and is in your price range. The  Axiom II is a nice casting rod but the grip is very short and comes with a short reel seat and fighting butt. Not much leverage for fishing a fish. I'm sure the Echo for sale mentioned will do the job.

Those were my thoughts exactly thanks for the advice!

Look up @The Graveyard Shift postings and read through some of his postings. He had some really long instructional postings about fishing heavy current with huge flies (canal) and sinking lines and you might get on some good postings in his posting history. So I would read about his journey and then think on it. 

Now a word of warning: he fish at night not day so different. But still worth noting. 

The other thing is be real careful about giving away your location as now everyone is going to be on you given what information you are dsecribing in your postings. 

Technically its good to hold back some of that information or any other information as to location so others don't come and ruin a spot. I know I would.