Glue for aluminum

Rate this topic

So I watched some car show recently (Hot Cars) and it was about how Morgan cars were build (small hand made British car company)

They have an all aluminum frame car that they glue together with a few rivets.  Supposedly the glue used was developed in WWII for ships and aircraft.

The glue they used was orange and not a two part epoxy.  It looked very flexible and rubbery.  They applied it with a caulk gun 

Anyone know anything about this stuff?

Edited by Captain Ahab

I fish fine

look stupid 

1 hour ago, Captain Ahab said:

So I watched some car show recently (Hot Cars) and it was about how Morgan cars were build (small hand made British car company)

They have an all aluminum frame car that they glue together with a few rivets.  Supposedly the glue used was developed in WWII for ships and aircraft.

The glue they used was orange and not a two part epoxy.  It looked very flexible and rubbery.  They applied it with a caulk gun 

Anyone know anything about this stuff?

Don't know the name of it, but they use that exact stuff on aircraft nowadays.  @Gotcow? may know

Yes, familiar with the sealants, but not familiar with Morgan cars. For aerospace (commercial aircraft), Polysulfide and Polythioether sealants are the most common used in construction process. Both are two part systems with limited open time before they chemically react and start the cure process. Once cured, they are a booger to remove.

Just now, JAL said:

What about them? That material doesn't have any where near the bonding strength as a 2 part Polysulfide.

That is what kinda surprised me about the adhesive that they used to assemble the aluminum auto frame. One part and in areas which would need max strength 

No welding which is what I would have thought.

Would like to see how it does on the boat

I fish fine

look stupid 

13 mins ago, Captain Ahab said:

That is what kinda surprised me about the adhesive that they used to assemble the aluminum auto frame. One part and in areas which would need max strength 

No welding which is what I would have thought.

Would like to see how it does on the boat

If you want to try the Polysulfides, outside the aerospace arena, you can get order them online via SkyGeek or Aircraft Spruce. For maximum adhesion and bonding strength, the aluminum prep is critical to use these. They are also cost prohibited for the general marine market and in honesty, a bit of an overkill to what the average jon boat goes through. Probably why you see more 'all welded' boats which also have their own nuances.