Pattio weed control

Rate this topic

We have two patios that I need to get ready.  Both are made with bluestone dust between the slate.  Unfortunately every year I have to dig the grass out between the pieces of slate.  In the past I have used roundup to insure no more grass grows or the summer. (One or three applications.).  Unfortunately my wife doesn’t want me to use a dangerous product like round up.  I am confused the package says it won’t hurt people or our dogs.  But I wonder after seeing all those advertisements for lawyers suing over the use of round up.  Guess I have two questions: how dangerous is it to use roundup two to three max four times a year.  Second are there other methods to prevent weed and grass growing in our pattio that are less toxic that will work and keep my wife happy I know it’s a tall order…….keeping the wife happy.  Thanks Charlie 

I’ve used round up for a good 30 years plus regularly, as did my old man on our farm commercially. It didn’t get me yet. I’m out of farming these days but still use it on my own home. If you aren’t using it like I was, or my old man, and our farm help did on a daily basis, I wouldn’t fret. Having said that using it at home I allow it to dry a day before I walk on it, or allow the dog anywhere near I sprayed. If round up fears you use a torch, or go with a manual with a removal tool, or pull by hand.

My state of NJ is considering banning fruit loops cereal, m&m’s, Gatorade, and a huge list of products California says causes cancer. Well. Unfortunately too  any things cause cancer these days including probably the tablet I’m typing on that sits on my lap. 

“I enjoy talking to you. Your mind appeals to me. It resembles my own mind except that you happen to be insane.”

15 hours ago, dannyplug1 said:

In the past I have used roundup to insure no more grass grows or the summer. (One or three applications.).  Unfortunately my wife doesn’t want me to use a dangerous product like round up.  I am confused the package says it won’t hurt people or our dogs.  But I wonder after seeing all those advertisements for lawyers suing over the use of round up.  Guess I have two questions: how dangerous is it to use roundup two to three max four times a year.  Second are there other methods to prevent weed and grass growing in our pattio that are less toxic that will work and keep my wife happy I know it’s a tall order…….keeping the wife happy.  Thanks Charlie 

Glyphosphate... compared to other herbicides of current and past, pretty safe when USED properly and at the recommended dilution (more isn't better... dead is dead, but it isn't instant). People fall for all the negative garbage put out on social media the ambulance chasing class action lawsuit lawyers driving up the hype.

Other options, look above. Flame them (dangers of working with Propane cylinder and open flame), and the salt n vinegar recipe. Add a bit of Dawn detergent which helps the absorption into the weeds.

Edited by JAL

IMHO nothing works like Round Up, hands down. I use it very, very sparingly only in very difficult situations. Burning is short term, but it does work. I know some folks swear by salt/vinegar, but the poison ivy at my place seems to drink it up like dollar beers at happy hour! I have done some reading, and I don't consider myself an alarmist, but it sure does seem like Round Up does some pretty lousy things. It is suspect to drive by a farmer on his tractor with a 500 gallon sprayer tank full of it killing everything that grows in his 50 acre field, and a month later he's planting feed corn for livestock in the same field. :o 

When I was a wee Lippen,..  a long time ago on a farm, far away,  the old men used diesel fuel on any recurring weed spots. 

Another world, another time. I've used round-up for years and I cant blame it for any afflictions I have with a straight face. 

I have a torch I use at the beach.  I'll spray now with roundup, let it go brown, burn it all with the torch, then put preen down.

FYI the torch will do nothing  to grass....the roots remain, and pop right back up.

Oh..and dont torch anytime after a rain.  Stone explodes due to the moisture within.  Explodes and sprays shrapnel.  My PSA for the day.

Red dragon or similar torch.  If you completely burn them, many perennial weeds grow back quickly.  Trick is to make them wilt and shrivel to kill whole plant.   Then if they come back in a couple of weeks, hit them again.  I would do my pool area in mid to late spring and again in July.  Was usually enough for the season. 

I’ve found that burning my ornamental grass is the best way to keep it growing in a compact healthy state, wildfires usually help things grow better. Salt/vinegar/soap seems to work well and straight bleach is another option. Torches are definitely a risk next to sedimentary rock it’s how they produce a thermaled surface on bluestone. 

On 4/17/2024 at 9:45 PM, MattieG said:

My state of NJ is considering banning fruit loops cereal, m&m’s, Gatorade, and a huge list of products California says causes cancer. Well. Unfortunately too  any things cause cancer these days including probably the tablet I’m typing on that sits on my lap. 

NJ is going to ban water next. They did a test and held a mouse underwater for 10 minutes and it died. 

On 4/17/2024 at 9:24 PM, nightfighter said:

Like any good old product, the companies have been sued to the point that they have been regulated to change their product's cocktail so that it is not as good as it used to be. That is the only way I can rationalize Round up still being on the market.

Or she could get one of these for Mother's Day......

71KNX3HXVML._AC_SX679_.jpg

Inspired mother’s day gift— I’d take it any day