The grass

Rate this topic

bennie

I have a large plot of land in my back yard that has Zoysia  grass on it , which you have to do nothing to once it takes hold.  That includes watering.  i didn't plant it but it is the best grass I have ever found.  The one negative is in the winter it turns somewhat brown,which I don't mind since i spend that time in FL.  When I get back in May it is green and attractive. It is tougher than weeds which is hard to believe.  It is planted using plugs which I didn't don thank God.

Looks great to me, I'm jealous haha. 

I've never had a good lawn, always a major project going on so the lawn was never the focus. This is my first year trying to have an actual lawn and not crabgrass and I am struggling already. Doesn't help that I despise landscaping and plantings etc. I'd rather do anything else. 

9 mins ago, fishfinder401 said:

Moss is better than grass any day... It will be a sad day that i actually choose to plant a grass lawn

Unfortunately my lawn’s a mix of moss, weeds, clover and grass.  So I get the pleasure of mowing a shitty looking lawn.  

In a month or so it’ll start looking good just before it burns due to lack of water.

I think I did pretty well. Had Jehovah's witnesses come to my house the other day, after I politely declined, they understood but wanted to just say one thing. Sure, what do I have to lose ... "your grass, oh my, it is like you did not even have a winter on your property! It looks amazing" I had to tell my wife immediately that her sacrifice of watching the children and my labor was no longer in vain, if that is not a measure of success I do not know what is. 

I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor. 

3 hours ago, John P said:

I have a large plot of land in my back yard that has Zoysia  grass on it , which you have to do nothing to once it takes hold.  That includes watering.  i didn't plant it but it is the best grass I have ever found.  The one negative is in the winter it turns somewhat brown,which I don't mind since i spend that time in FL.  When I get back in May it is green and attractive. It is tougher than weeds which is hard to believe.  It is planted using plugs which I didn't don thank God.

Yeah, I have really been considering making the switch to Zoysia. If my front gets killed off again from a summer browning event like I had 4-5 years ago, I will probably switch over (although I am not sure my neighbors would like me making the switch since they use a bluegrass/turf-type-tall fescue mix (which is also what I essentially have, though mine is mostly the fescue that survived, with some patches of clover now that I need to kill off this year and reseed/plug).

My cousin redid his lawn and my aunt and uncle's lawn with Zoysia 2 years ago when they bought the house next door and took the fence down between the two properties. That grass does really nice around me. Even though it is considered a warm season grass and I live in what was typically considered a cool season area, the warming trends we have had has moved the prime location for Zoysia to our area (I think some of the largest grass farms in the world for Zoysia are only a 5 minute drive from my house).

I need to go sharpen the lawnmower blade and re-balance. Used it last weekend and all I saw the next two days was a brown/yellow of all the tips that were essentially ripped and torn. Will have to probably wait for this Saturday...

Edited by FallenKell

10 hours ago, Lou T said:

What state are you from?

I live in roanoke virginia and not suppose to plant bermuda because of cold winter,,,,:laugh: but I got cold weather stains blackjack and oasis it was very difficult to start,,,,,,,:D