Fishing Logs

Rate this topic

8 mins ago, mikez2 said:

Just reading those two sentences gave me a popsicle head ache.

I'm envious of those with the brains for that kind of things. I personally would have thrown my coffee cup through my monitor the first time I tried it. 

I'm a KISS guy from way back and all technology hates me.

Haha totally reasonable. As an accountant, my job is essentially spreadsheets so it makes sense for me. 

3 hours ago, Jmp74 said:

I export the tides before every season into Excel and use that as my base for my log. Excel is a very powerful tool for filtering data. I can very easily filter for which tides I've done my best at certain spots.

image.png.f65499f6b7191441c41f8c20a7e98f59.png

But that would only be one specific spot that you'll fish right because of the set tides. If you go 30 min away from this spot, everything would be different from this chart, or you have to make a separate chart.

3 mins ago, foxfai said:

But that would only be one specific spot that you'll fish right because of the set tides. If you go 30 min away from this spot, everything would be different from this chart, or you have to make a separate chart.

I use the Boston harbor tides as reference as I fish the area most but every single spot I have varies. I have spots that are slack water and 5 minutes away at the same time, the current is ripping so the exact tide times really mean nothing to me. BUT this chart is telling me which tides are going to be the strongest and weakest across the season. It helps me pick which nights will be sleepless and when I can relax. 

25 mins ago, Jmp74 said:

I use the Boston harbor tides as reference as I fish the area most but every single spot I have varies. I have spots that are slack water and 5 minutes away at the same time, the current is ripping so the exact tide times really mean nothing to me. BUT this chart is telling me which tides are going to be the strongest and weakest across the season. It helps me pick which nights will be sleepless and when I can relax. 

I see. I hear you. Some tides are just not worth it when you know you've been skunked before.

5 mins ago, foxfai said:

I see. I hear you. Some tides are just not worth it when you know you've been skunked before.

Yep! I fish when I can regardless of tide but when life gets in the way, sometimes you have to choose your nights wisely and the log helps with that.

Most of my logging is with my phone. I screen grab the wind speed & direction, air pressure, moon cycle, moonrise, sunrise, tide cycles, & weather forecast. I take quick pictures of my fish, usually with the lure I catch it with. I've been videoing my outings for about ten years. I save the parts of the video with catches or important details and delete the rest. I don't post video online. It's for my personal records and not to be a facebook hero. I'll journal any important details I want to remember on my computer.

After you do this for a few seasons, it's easy to recognize the patterns or conditions that often, but not always, result in good fishing.

I have accumulated enough video bloopers such as falling on my arse or losing fish or losing gear that I could put together a decent blooper reel.

I have 2 different clips of a rod & reel going into the deep while trolling. I have clips of me slipping on the canal seaweed and falling on my arse. Plenty of wind knots. Lots of lost fish.

Edited by zak-striper

4 hours ago, zak-striper said:

Most of my logging is with my phone. I screen grab the wind speed & direction, air pressure, moon cycle, moonrise, sunrise, tide cycles, & weather forecast. I take quick pictures of my fish, usually with the lure I catch it with. 

Exactly what I do. Sometimes it pays off when I return on similar tides/times, sometimes not.  Ultimately fishing can never be that predictable with all the variables there are.

10 hours ago, TheFriendlyFisherman said:

Funny that I was interested - also an accountant here so the spreadsheets were right up my alley 

I spent much "quality time" with Excel when I was still working.  Regarding the tide issue.  You could have a tide chart imported for one spot as you do now.  All your entries would use this to pull the tide.   Then you could write a quick formula where an offset is applied for additional spots depending how much it differed from the "control" spot.

Say you have imported the chart for Chatham and high is a 10:00.  But you also fish Truro which 40 minutes earlier.   You would have your entries for Truro use the Chatham data (-40).

Is it time to fish yet?

Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

On 4/17/2024 at 9:00 AM, Jeff270 said:

I made up an Excel sheet.  I could filter it for specific conditions such as fish, tide, date range, weather, location, wind etc, what worked, what didn't, etc

I filled it in may be five times.....

I do the same with excel but when I'm bored during the winter and really itching to fish thats when I go back and update it.  I tend to take lots of pictures when I'm fishing since I always bring the kids and I can go back to those, Its easy to remember what you used, how the day went, etc and you can usually tell if it was overcast.  Then you also have the date, location and time and using the internet its easy to find a tide chart, moon phases, and estimate anything you didn't have.

I'm really data driven so I also create a formula to give a score based on how good the day was.  Species, total weight, total catch and such all factored in.  That way I can quantify what the best day was, sort by species, and then look at what common factors contributed to it.  So far, from my data, I've been able to determine I catch more fish when I have a hook in the water than when I'm sitting on the couch inputting data into a spreadsheet.

Edited by d3souz4

22 mins ago, d3souz4 said:

I do the same with excel but when I'm bored during the winter and really itching to fish thats when I go back and update it.  I tend to take lots of pictures when I'm fishing since I always bring the kids and I can go back to those, Its easy to remember what you used, how the day went, etc and you can usually tell if it was overcast.  Then you also have the date, location and time and using the internet its easy to find a tide chart, moon phases, and estimate anything you didn't have.

I'm really data driven so I also create a formula to give a score based on how good the day was.  Species, total weight, total catch and such all factored in.  That way I can quantify what the best day was, sort by species, and then look at what common factors contributed to it.  So far, from my data, I've been able to determine I catch more fish when I have a hook in the water than when I'm sitting on the couch inputting data into a spreadsheet.

You sound like me!  I use to have  a sign in my office that said "If you are here without data, than you're just another person with an opinion".

Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?