Fishing Logs

Rate this topic

How do you guys keep your fishing logs? Old school pen/paper, excel sheet, an app maybe? 

Looking to revamp my log this year to get a little more organized and collect more data. Thinking of including: date, time (start and stop), location, tide, moon phase, water temp, air temp, wind (only notable winds - wasn’t going to get crazy here as I wouldn’t know how to accurately estimate), fish caught (with some details on size), what each was caught on, what else was fished with no result, and leave a spot for other trip notes. 

What am I missing? What else do you guys track? I’ve never kept any legit records, only random notes saved on my phone or on a scrap of paper that gets stored. Hoping after a few seasons I can get a better picture of what is actually working best for me. 

Thanks!

Edited by TheFriendlyFisherman

I kept religious, handwritten logs for years.  My mom used to get a hard bound daily appointment book from Am Ex, and she'd give it to me every year.

Recorded everything, some serious fishing events. Catches, tides, wind, laughs.  Looking back, the logs really gave no insight as to fishing patterns.  But I'm glad I did them because it makes for some cool reading.   I often thought about posting excerpts here on occasion.

The Sultan of Sluggo

40 mins ago, bob_G said:

I kept religious, handwritten logs for years.  My mom used to get a hard bound daily appointment book from Am Ex, and she'd give it to me every year.

Recorded everything, some serious fishing events. Catches, tides, wind, laughs.  Looking back, the logs really gave no insight as to fishing patterns.  But I'm glad I did them because it makes for some cool reading.   I often thought about posting excerpts here on occasion.

I did a little bit of that for a while. But end up kept forgetting to add the entry after a long , tired fishing days. Now I take pictures of some good events. Digital pictures cost nothing. Sometimes I go back and look at the date of the picture and brings back the good memories specifically to that date. 

11 hours ago, TheFriendlyFisherman said:

How do you guys keep your fishing logs? Old school pen/paper, excel sheet, an app maybe? 

Looking to revamp my log this year to get a little more organized and collect more data. Thinking of including: date, time (start and stop), location, tide, moon phase, water temp, air temp, wind (only notable winds - wasn’t going to get crazy here as I wouldn’t know how to accurately estimate), fish caught (with some details on size), what each was caught on, what else was fished with no result, and leave a spot for other trip notes. 

What am I missing? What else do you guys track? I’ve never kept any legit records, only random notes saved on my phone or on a scrap of paper that gets stored. Hoping after a few seasons I can get a better picture of what is actually working best for me. 

Thanks!

Keep it in a lined book form where you write down as some have mentioned , tides, time of day barometric pressure readings , over all weather conditions . What and how you caught what ever species it was you were after. In my case I have one for each species I fished for in the early times of my life. Later they became the basis upon which I would have countless articles printed I would later write about. You will have recorded history of your adventures and later be able to look back on the good, bad, ugly times you went through to get to be an accomplished fishermen. Write down all of the experiments, any  changes you might make to increase your knowledge on the how  and why you did them . Once you begin you will documentations to hand down to your family , sons ,daughters that will forever be part of your life.  One thing for sure if you can afford a camera , which I was never able to do during the early times, is take pictures, one picture is worth a thousand words when you and if you decide to ever write about fishing in any stage. Peace and Prayers

Edited by Angler #1

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

10 hours ago, foxfai said:

I did a little bit of that for a while. But end up kept forgetting to add the entry after a long , tired fishing days. Now I take pictures of some good events. Digital pictures cost nothing. Sometimes I go back and look at the date of the picture and brings back the good memories specifically to that date. 

Pretty much the same. 

I still have a few years from the 80s and a few from the 90s. They're fun to go back and read but I just couldn't keep up with it. When it became a chore instead of fun or useful, I quit.

I do the same with photos. Even average sized fish will get a pic if it's a interesting or note worthy trip, location, species or just 'cause.

I made up an Excel sheet.  I could filter it for specific conditions such as fish, tide, date range, weather, location, wind etc, what worked, what didn't, etc

I filled it in may be five times.....

Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

Truthfully, the only reason I kept such detailed logs was because my mom gave me a new, fancy appointment book each year.  

Each winter I give her the log for her to read over the winter.  After she passed, I kind of lost interest.   Imo there's little to be gained by recording such events other than stirring memories years later.

The Sultan of Sluggo

John Skinner created a great app called Fishers Log.   It automatically adds moon phases and sunrise sunset times and has text boxes for Location, Wind,  water and Air temperature, tides,  barometric Pressure, water clarity, precipitation.   It also has a large comments section and you can also add pictures for each log entry.   John Skinner has a youtube video that explains how it works including ability to sort or search your logs.  You can download the app and there is a free 7 day trial   After that it a one time $20 fee

honestly, since the iphone came out, its mostly pics of the gps mark screen and the sonor plus a pic of the catch with lure/bait and the background for general conditions.

i have a buddy that takes it further by typing (edit feature) “TUNA JUNE 28” (for example) on a pic so he can search by species and date… smart but i never seem to get around to it.

Edited by nicknotsebastian

2 mins ago, TheFriendlyFisherman said:

You mind sharing where you export from?

usharbors.com. 

I print to PDF and then use a PDF converter to export to Excel. The format will come out a little wonky but it just takes a little work to paste into a separate spreadsheet and format yourself. 

49 mins ago, Jmp74 said:

usharbors.com. 

I print to PDF and then use a PDF converter to export to Excel. The format will come out a little wonky but it just takes a little work to paste into a separate spreadsheet and format yourself. 

Just reading those two sentences gave me a popsicle head ache.

I'm envious of those with the brains for that kind of things. I personally would have thrown my coffee cup through my monitor the first time I tried it. 

I'm a KISS guy from way back and all technology hates me.