My sad story

Rate this topic

Ok guys here I go, I have a 20 bayrunner  (a 70's boat) and it has alot of oxidation from sitting in the ocean. I am 66 years old and I want to do some short ocean trips. I am on a fixed income but I would still love to get this boat ocean ready, I mean water tight. Many of the areas of oxidation are hole throw the hull of the boat. I there a product out there that I could  have sprayed on the bottom to seal the boat ( maybe something like line-X )? Please let me know if anyone has any ideas on how to fix my boat with out forcing me out of retirement  just to pay for it. Please Help.

Thank you

Assuming it's an aluminum hull I would look for an aluminum welder and then treat the bottom. If you are taking a light aluminum hulled boat in the ocean be prepared for a bumpy trip.  IMO a 20' aluminum just lacks the basic weight (and size) for a comfortable ocean trip. 

"A land without memories is a people without liberty" - Robert E. Lee

Thank you for the information. I just want to fish around the harbor and the breakwater (jetty). I have deep sea fished all my life. I go on party boats for ant deep trips. The welders want to much money. I just want for a few hours each trip and my retirement doesn't stretch enough for a welder. thats why Im looking for some type of coating.

47 mins ago, El Zorro said:

Thank you for the information. I just want to fish around the harbor and the breakwater (jetty). I have deep sea fished all my life. I go on party boats for ant deep trips. The welders want to much money. I just want for a few hours each trip and my retirement doesn't stretch enough for a welder. thats why Im looking for some type of coating.

If you have holes in the hull that means the area around those holes is also no good...I don't think there's anything you can coat or spray on an aluminum hull that will seal holes. And nothing short of welding more aluminum over the area is going to reinforce the weakened areas around the holes. But I'm literally just guessing....there very well might be some heavy kind of modern patch available...but I would be very leery of taking a boat with any kind of holes in the hull into water deeper than I could stand up in :)

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

3 hours ago, El Zorro said:

Ok guys here I go, I have a 20 bayrunner  (a 70's boat) and it has alot of oxidation from sitting in the ocean. I am 66 years old and I want to do some short ocean trips. I am on a fixed income but I would still love to get this boat ocean ready, I mean water tight. Many of the areas of oxidation are hole throw the hull of the boat. I there a product out there that I could  have sprayed on the bottom to seal the boat ( maybe something like line-X )? Please let me know if anyone has any ideas on how to fix my boat with out forcing me out of retirement  just to pay for it. Please Help.

Thank you

I had a Bayrunner in the 70s.  My friend Howie and I used take it way offshore with only a $12 Air Guide Compass.  Young and stupid. I just turned 70.