Black sluggo or american eel?

Rate this topic

codfish

Depending how you fish it, I’d take an Ultimus 10 3/4” rubber eel rigged on a proper eel squid over anything you can do with a 9” sluggo. In a hard current I’d take the sluggo on a ball jig over the rubber eel. 

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

I've always done better on the Sluggo "Eel Skin" color for mimicking american eel (even more so than their "American Eel" color). But like Thirteen just posted, I also picked up a few plugs last offseason to rig with a tail. Mainly trying to cut down on losses from bluefish, as the plug will take quite a bit more damage than a soft plastic does, so only having the back tail be soft plastic has seemed to helped last season, but I also did not get out as often as I would have liked, so it could have been a "need more data" kind of thing to see if it really saves me on lost soft plastics or not.

GTs get pretty damn close. Still no replacement for a fresh riggie or a live eel.

Those subtle vibrations of a live snake will out produce any synthetic competitors.

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333

10 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

GTs get pretty damn close. Still no replacement for a fresh riggie or a live eel.

Those subtle vibrations of a live snake will out produce any synthetic competitors.

Let's not forget that eel smell:th:

20 hours ago, Thirteen said:

Ha! If there was only one bluefish left on the planet, he’d find you and bite the tail off. I buy jointed Bombers off season at Walmart for $5. Cut them in half, paint them up, and add a Hogy or whatever. They work well but same thing, they are absolute bluefish magnets.

765BC9AD-6953-4351-A403-3C3279BE7703.jpeg

I was going to post the same thing! I do that as well, great minds must think alike!