Block Seal infestation

Rate this topic

Every year more and more pups.

Looks like close to 500 seal in that picture taken from the lighthouse. 

Nothing flies by me without a hook!
If my fly is down, That's a good thing.

Public Access.....It's a shore thing. My daily requirement of "Vitamin Sea".

Capt. Ray Stachelek

North Rip, Block Island was always an iconic popular spot back a decade or more ago. 

It use to have great striper fishing at night perhaps more than ten years ago now.

Occasionally it lights up now and than today, but not to often. 

Francis Fleet and others party boats often had scheduled evening bass trips almost every night during the summers. 

It sometime looked like a airport, all the hundreds of navigational boat lights. 

At first the cod vanished replaced by the spiny dog fish in early season maybe twenty years ago.  

It was a prime locations for stripers and giant bluefish in the spring and early summer, and fall. 

Today most six pack boats carrying clients just motor on by don't even stop.

There would be hundred and hundred of gull, and term working the rip in the morning hours, clouds of plentiful sand eels everywhere being tossed up to the surface. 

I used to do forty trips a year out to the island ever summer with lots of success.

Fishing was great with a fly rod, coastal fishing in 20 feet or less around most of the island. 

Not anymore? As others have noted in past posts, fishing shore is so poor now with results.

A big reason obvious is the seals and these bad conditions are not going to change, but it worst.  

Nothing flies by me without a hook!
If my fly is down, That's a good thing.

Public Access.....It's a shore thing. My daily requirement of "Vitamin Sea".

Capt. Ray Stachelek

And yet the F..king Aquarium keeps releasing seals on East Beach and nobody seems to give a hoot

insay the next time they release those vermin someone besides me shows up to protest 

Last time I was set to fish from the beach with bait and a chair they wanted me to move I told them to go soak

if there 4/5 of us they might have to go somewhere else 

We were there first 

just a thought 

The reason for so many seals on Block:eek:

What Do Seals Eat?

"Marine biologist Kristen Ampela’s 2009 Ph.D. thesis on the diet and foraging of grays seals is frequently cited in literature. Through scat analysis and necroscopies performed on the stomach contents of bycaught seals from commercial fishermen, Dr. Ampela concluded that 53 percent of the gray seal diet consists of sand lance (sand eel) and 29 percent from flounder, hake, and cod. Stripers barely showed up as a blip in her study, but that doesn’t mean seals won’t eat stripers."

On 4/18/2024 at 7:32 AM, codfish said:

The reason for so many seals on Block:eek:

What Do Seals Eat?

"Marine biologist Kristen Ampela’s 2009 Ph.D. thesis on the diet and foraging of grays seals is frequently cited in literature. Through scat analysis and necroscopies performed on the stomach contents of bycaught seals from commercial fishermen, Dr. Ampela concluded that 53 percent of the gray seal diet consists of sand lance (sand eel) and 29 percent from flounder, hake, and cod. Stripers barely showed up as a blip in her study, but that doesn’t mean seals won’t eat stripers."

Tell that to the guys who fish Cape Cod.

9 hours ago, John P said:

Bring on the great whites. Preditors always find their favorite pray

One of the Avian flu variants has jumped to seals and killed 2100. I caught unholy hell about saying that was a damn good start. Sounds like it needs to find it's way there. Give the seals there a pox blanket. :D

"The sea, the great unifier, is man's only hope. Now, as never before,
the old phrase has a literal meaning: We are all in the same boat."
Jacques Cousteau

The other 47 % of a gray seals diet is most likely crabs and lobsters. Of course bass hate crabs and lobsters. At times crabs and lobsters are what keeps the few fish we have left hanging around when bait is vacant. I find crabs ripped open along the beach claws fully intact just livers chowed down. Bring on the the great white supremes.

Not good. I never cared for the north rip but the last few times I tried to fish the clay head area or grove point it was maginally fishable. Swimming out to some of those perches is starting to get spooky.  I hate when those seals sneak up, get startled, and then create an explosion of water. Solo out there on an otherwise quiet night, it is pretty freaky.  Any large animal creating sounds moving around in the darkness, starts peaking the imagination.

It is more or less ruined, but so is the whole fishery no matter the seal factor.  I have noticed too what no one seems to talk about is the affect of the asian green shore crab. There are beaches on block and in the whole northeast completely stripped of life...just those damn crabs left.  The impact of the ecosystem has to be significant...and out of balance.  At least the grey seal...is native.  I am not very educated on the matter, but when I noted the absence of snails and other mollusks on certain beaches, my buddy pointed to the asian green crabs.  This has to disrupt the food cchainand other things in the surf zone.  What a mess. Other things i have noticed are the rocks are pretty well carpeted with mung like seaweed. Not sure if that us global warming or what....but it seems odd.

I just hope some of this is reversable, but considering how  we have epic Governmental Environment Mis-management, these may be our cards for the long haul.