Braided line test list

Rate this topic

Mahigo

22 hours ago, EricDice said:

I’m guessing the YGK Jigman hopefully has similar diameter to the YGK upgrade x8. I don’t think line laboratory or Aquaholik have that one in the test results. 

I generally go for 200m and use a thicker stronger braid as filler. Check the search feature on the site for threads on that topic. If you go 200, there’s a lot more options available. 

You’re saying to go with 200? With the 200 yards the knot will be already outside of the spool when fish bite so the weakest point (knot) is exposed at the beginning of the fight when fish is still strong, so it’s better to move the knot into the reel to at least 250 yards…

I prefer to go with 300 one piece line…because I can cast my lure ~175 - 200+ yards and fish might be pulling out about ~50 - 75 yards so I will have ~25 yards left on the reel.

I bought some of the Major Craft lines and waiting for delivery to see and test them first before I buy any other lines.

(*member formerly known as 'Ricardo8')

5 mins ago, Mahigo said:

You’re saying to go with 200? With the 200 yards the knot will be already outside of the spool when fish bite so the weakest point (knot) is exposed at the beginning of the fight when fish is still strong, so it’s better to move the knot into the reel to at least 250 yards…

I prefer to go with 300 one piece line…because I can cast my lure ~175 - 200+ yards and fish might be pulling out about ~50 - 75 yards so I will have ~25 yards left on the reel.

I bought some of the Major Craft lines and waiting for delivery to see and test them first before I buy any other lines.

I have never once had a cast that went that distance. 

With perfect conditions and fresh slightly overspooled 20lbs PP slick8, I had a day of sending deadly dicks over 100 yards in eyeball distance. 

If I had a gun to my head, I would bet my life that most of my casts -with everything except metal- go 75 yards with a +/- 10 yards spread. 

You may have special talents but I’m not sure how you could reach 150 consistently enough to worry about the knot being in play if you’re using 200m (220 yards) of fresh line & fitting all of it on the reel.

And man you would really limit the use of beefier lines on any 5000 & under modern reel. You’d have to go 10 lbs braid - roughly PE 1-1.5 to fit 250 yards on even a C5000 shimano. 

I just spooled up one with PE3 YGK, and the whole 200m didn’t fit. I’d bet it was 170.

In fact, I had PE2 on a 5k Stradic for a few years  and that really didn’t take the entire 200m to my recollection. I think it took 185 plus a thin layer of tape.

Heck, even my Saragosa 6k just got a new top-off recently and I barely fit 200m of Aliexpress (knockoff presumably) version of YGK upgrade X8 in PE2.5.

yes, I had backing on it but really not much.

On that one I used 18” of 15 lbs mono & roughly 30 yards of 50 lbs PP slick 8 PR knotted to the top layer. I call that the “warning track” if you’re familiar with baseball having a different material by the HR fence to warn outfielders via their feet that they’re close to the wall.

If I ever get into the thick braid at the bottom of my spool, it’s time to cup the spool and pull. I do this on most of my reels. Ideally, fight hard and walk forward a little to get the PR knot back on the spool before going the nuclear option (cupping the spool etc).

Had a shark get me to that point once. Had a ray get me almost into the mono backing. Nail biter!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, EricDice said:

And man you would really limit the use of beefier lines on any 5000 & under modern reel. You’d have to go 10 lbs braid - roughly PE 1-1.5 to fit 250 yards on even a C5000 shimano. 

I just spooled up one with PE3 YGK, and the whole 200m didn’t fit. I’d bet it was 170.

In fact, I had PE2 on a 5k Stradic for a few years  and that really didn’t take the entire 200m to my recollection. I think it took 185 plus a thin layer of tape.

Heck, even my Saragosa 6k just got a new top-off recently and I barely fit 200m of Aliexpress (knockoff presumably) version of YGK upgrade X8 in PE2.5.

On that one I used 18” of 15 lbs mono & roughly 30 yards of 50 lbs PP slick 8 PR knotted to the top layer. I call that the “warning track” if you’re familiar with baseball having a different material by the HR fence to warn outfielders via their feet that they’re close to the wall.

If I ever get into the thick braid at the bottom of my spool, it’s time to cup the spool and pull. I do this on most of my reels. Ideally, fight hard and walk forward a little to get the PR knot back on the spool before going the nuclear option (cupping the spool etc).

Had a shark get me to that point once. Had a ray get me almost into the mono backing. Nail biter!

Yes that is correct 200m which is ~218 yards so the knot is inside but its better to have more just in case you can get a big one. Most of the people I met using 300 yards. Any way I prefer to have some more line on and 1 piece without any knots accept between backing…

Not on every cast is 200 yards but some of them are, of corse with the nice day with no winds…

I am using Daiwa J-braid 20lbs and with some lures adding 30lbs leader ~20 yards J-braid.

With the metals like Hopkins, Crippled herring, Buzz Bomb but the best for the distance in my arsenal is TADY Y2, 2.6oz.

To be honest I can’t get a nice distance with Deadly Dick too, some how this lure doesn’t go very well for the distance.

I think my reels: Daiwa Isla 5000 and Emblem Z5500A can hold more than 400 yards of 30lbs with the tape on it.

I have no idea of the Shimano reels capacity but the Saragosa 6000 6K should take more than 200. Are you sure about this reel capacity, its 6K???

What is your rod?

IMG_1537.jpeg

Edited by Mahigo

19 hours ago, EricDice said:

Sorry man, I didn’t see last night that you are talking about PE3 and PE2. I was thinking about 20lbs....

That is perhaps double of 20lbs in diameter. With that diameter of the braid your distance is probably ok.

What are you fishing for? And what is your rod?

On 4/30/2024 at 6:10 PM, Mahigo said:

Sorry man, I didn’t see last night that you are talking about PE3 and PE2. I was thinking about 20lbs....

That is perhaps double of 20lbs in diameter. With that diameter of the braid your distance is probably ok.

What are you fishing for? And what is your rod?

Stripers & bluefish mainly, flounder/fluke but that’s usually dedicated light gear. 

I have mainly “budget” rods by many guys’ standards but the outliers of my collection are a 9’6” Tsunami AWE and a MC Triple Cross 1002. (Factory builds - never custom for me. Was gonna build my own this winter or early spring but time limitations got in the way.)

— — —

The diameters and strength of US rated 20#s - As a general rule -  the common diameter is around .285/.290 up to .310 & above. They usually break at 30-37 lbs. If the mm diameter x 100 is lower than the tested strength result, that seems a good sign of strength to diameter ratio. A .310 line that goes to 37 lbs is probably one of the best US lines or it’s made in Japan. 

So, this strength & diameter puts the US 20#s roughly in between the Japanese PE2 and PE2.5. 

Suffix 832 (a top tier US marketed braid) in 15 lbs - which I haven’t used but learned about recently - is closer to 20 lbs line of many other brands by thickness and it breaks in the mid 30s like a PE2. I would consider it to be almost interchangeable with YGK upgrade x8 in PE2. Many US 20 lbs braids are kinda like PE2 had a baby with 2.5. And our 30# lines are like PE2.5 mainly - possibly as thick as the JDM PE3s but I would expect the JDM lines of the same thickness to break at a higher test strength.

I’m actually using a PE3 for the first time this season. It’s pretty much in between PP original 30# & 40# but smoother and more like the PP Slick8 in feel. Best guess would be .35-.375 mm and probably high 40s in lbs for strength. I pick based largely on the leader I wanna use that won’t be stronger than the line. So, this one gets 40 lbs mono leader. Landed a roughly 20lbs striper a few weeks ago but haven’t been out much this season as my life is complicated. ;-)

PE2 in the YGK line may have been the sweet spot so I’ll likely go back to that soon - or pick up the 832 in 15#. 

Again, I care most about enjoyment of using the line. I don’t like original PP very much in the versions under 40 lbs but it’s possibly stronger by diameter/weight than the slick 8 of the same rating. Also, almost all 20 lbs lines give the most favorable strength to diameter/weight ratios but I hate tip wrap & wind knots. So - I’ll happily give up extra line capacity & a tiny bit extra casting distance for the little added resistance to tip wrap & wind knots. You gotta decide for yourself what’s your preference. 

4 carrier (x4) braided lines seem to have more bang for the buck in terms of strength to thickness as well as cost. Original PP tests pretty well wherever I find it listed.

On 5/1/2024 at 8:12 PM, EricDice said:

4 carrier (x4) braided lines seem to have more bang for the buck in terms of strength to thickness as well as cost. Original PP tests pretty well wherever I find it listed.

I think with 9’6” rod and 40lbs braided line on it you are doing ok with the distance casting.

I am using factory build Century FMA 13ft rod, UK version. This is amazing rod but it has one problem, very expensive but for the rooster fishing does the job well.

In general speaking fishing is very expensive hobby.

……

Each country using different marking on the label showing 20lbs but the diameter is from 40lbs so it’s confusing… but I am trying to get the thinest one in diameter and with highest possible breaking number. I have one spool of the Spiderwire braid 15lbs and its very thin and very strong line, I like it.

On 5/1/2024 at 8:12 PM, EricDice said:

Yes the 4x braided lines are little less expensive but some of them quickly going down and become flat after using them for some time.

I have one 4x braid line (China knockoff) it’s not bad accept the manufacturer called it 50lbs but its not that strong and the line is very thin in diameter and looks like ~20lbs, so I am using it as a ~20.

14 hours ago, Mahigo said:

Yes the 4x braided lines are little less expensive but some of them quickly going down and become flat after using them for some time.

I have one 4x braid line (China knockoff) it’s not bad accept the manufacturer called it 50lbs but its not that strong and the line is very thin in diameter and looks like ~20lbs, so I am using it as a ~20.

Yes, I think spiderwire is best viewed & used at 5 or 10 lbs lower than the powerpro (or other standard brand) you may have used otherwise. 

— — —

YGK upgrade x8 in PE2 and/or Suffix 832 in 15#. Those seem to be two of the best for strength (tested for breaking point) diameter ratio. Can be matched with 30 lbs leader or yo zuri 35#, or a 40# leader with a knot expected to fail earlier. 

— — —

10 lbs Fireline Crystal (hard to find now) has been a favorite of mine too. Holds up better than spiderwire which quickly gets ratty look & feel. 

On 5/4/2024 at 4:21 AM, EricDice said:

Yes, I think spiderwire is best viewed & used at 5 or 10 lbs lower than the powerpro (or other standard brand) you may have used otherwise. 

— — —

YGK upgrade x8 in PE2 and/or Suffix 832 in 15#. Those seem to be two of the best for strength (tested for breaking point) diameter ratio. Can be matched with 30 lbs leader or yo zuri 35#, or a 40# leader with a knot expected to fail earlier. 

— — —

10 lbs Fireline Crystal (hard to find now) has been a favorite of mine too. Holds up better than spiderwire which quickly gets ratty look & feel. 

I am not rush to buy anything right now cause I have some spare lines and also I am waiting for delivery the Majo Craft lines I bought from Asia.

But if I see the one I know it’s good I will buy.

I wonder what rod you were thinking to build?

On 5/1/2024 at 10:12 PM, EricDice said:

I never understand the pp tests.  I have experienced so many breakoffs and unraveling  that i stopped using it years ago.  So many others here agree its pure garbage, yet so many stand by it.  I have seen people buy spools years apart fron each other and still lose lures to breakoffs.  The stuff is pure garbage as far as i am concerned.   Ive been a staunch 20 and 30 lb fireline guy since.  Started using jbraid x8 grand last year for my sea bass setups and will try it this year for the surf/gosa setup to see how it does.   I could use some more distance to reach those albies.

Edited by Baccigalup
I'll BE PULLING ON MY ROD - TILL THEY LAY ME IN SOD!!!!!

13 hours ago, Baccigalup said:

I never understand the pp tests.  I have experienced so many breakoffs and unraveling  that i stopped using it years ago.  So many others here agree its pure garbage, yet so many stand by it.  I have seen people buy spools years apart fron each other and still lose lures to breakoffs.  The stuff is pure garbage as far as i am concerned.   Ive been a staunch 20 and 30 lb fireline guy since.  Started using jbraid x8 grand last year for my sea bass setups and will try it this year for the surf/gosa setup to see how it does.   I could use some more distance to reach those albies.

Power pro is not my favorite. Still, I have been lucky enough in avoiding bad batches but I saw those things many times here on SOL and among a few friends & family who used PP going back around 10 years ago. 

I am roughly convinced that it’s a quality control issue that they’ve likely resolved- until I get burned by it! 

I have been paying the slight premium prices for Suffix (not that I’ve calculated the cost difference but it’s pricier) and YGK because I enjoy those lines more - so the PP thing doesn’t factor for me. 

Never tried Yo Zuri SB and that one seems like a good pick. Fireline was great but 125 yard spools was annoying. Never used the 8 strand version. Nowadays, I’m just not chasing down the old stock or the newest version in green (etc.) that seems not readily available in the US. Too annoying as well. 

14 hours ago, Baccigalup said:

I don’t know how good or bad it is I never used PP braid somehow I started with a different brand and still using it (J-braid, Spiderwire and some of the knockoff from China)

But on the same time I am looking for good one or better than the one I have....

36 mins ago, Mahigo said:

I don’t know how good or bad it is I never used PP braid somehow I started with a different brand and still using it (J-braid, Spiderwire and some of the knockoff from China)

But on the same time I am looking for good one or better than the one I have....

You got a few good suggestions, best way is to pick up a small spool of what you think you will like and try it.   After a few wind knots and lost lures, or lack of ....you will be able to decide.  I think everyone is different.  How easy can you tie your knots, how easy can you get out a wind knot etc....

I love fireline but i dont get the cast distance i want and for boats its not a sensitive line, so jbraid works for me.   Trying it in the surf this year .  Good luck 

I'll BE PULLING ON MY ROD - TILL THEY LAY ME IN SOD!!!!!