Braided line test list

Rate this topic

Mahigo

@Mahigo also check out the website for “the line laboratory” a YouTube channel. 

I use this Dropbox sheet above (by aquaholik) and the list on the line laboratory site.

They use different methods but you get a nice idea of which lines are giving strength to diameter that should help make a decision. 

4 hours ago, EricDice said:

@Mahigo also check out the website for “the line laboratory” a YouTube channel. 

I use this Dropbox sheet above (by aquaholik) and the list on the line laboratory site.

They use different methods but you get a nice idea of which lines are giving strength to diameter that should help make a decision. 

EricDice Thank you for the additional info about line …. I will check them all.

Do you have any idea which line of 20lbs is the strongest with the small diameter to get the longest cast possible?

(*member formerly known as 'Ricardo8')

On 4/16/2024 at 12:47 PM, Mahigo said:

EricDice Thank you for the additional info about line …. I will check them all.

Do you have any idea which line of 20lbs is the strongest with the small diameter to get the longest cast possible?

I’m far from the authority but j braid, yo zuri super braid, original PP, Are readily available 20# options with high strength to weight.

Maxcuatro is a reasonable option for a small increase in strength to diameter (or strength to weight which is the way Aquaholik does that measurement - set length and measure the weight.) more money though. 

— — —

Japan made brands like YGK and Varivas are the boutique versions with a higher price and typically more consistency - less thin & thick points in a spool. 

I have a few favorites and it’s less about the measurements than usability/preference which you want to see for yourself. Better usability (for example- less wind knot tendency) to me considering the casting distance differences - search tube) are usually only a few yards unless really moving up or down in a significant amount like from 20 to 40.

On 4/20/2024 at 9:12 PM, EricDice said:

I’m far from the authority but j braid, yo zuri super braid, original PP, Are readily available 20# options with high strength to weight.

Maxcuatro is a reasonable option for a small increase in strength to diameter (or strength to weight which is the way Aquaholik does that measurement - set length and measure the weight.) more money though. 

— — —

Japan made brands like YGK and Varivas are the boutique versions with a higher price and typically more consistency - less thin & thick points in a spool. 

I have a few favorites and it’s less about the measurements than usability/preference which you want to see for yourself. Better usability (for example- less wind knot tendency) to me considering the casting distance differences - search tube) are usually only a few yards unless really moving up or down in a significant amount like from 20 to 40.

EricDice thank you for pointing out some of the good brands. I prefer to get a 20lbs line and not to go with the higher ones because of the diameter.

First I have to say thank you to “aquaholik” and the “line laboratory” for the tremendous work they have done for us.

Up to for now I have been using Daiwa J-braid and some of the no name braid lines base on the price. I think I am doing ok with the distance but why not to try to get a few more meters in distance casting artificial lures. So from the two mentioned before list and SOL members I need to use a good quality braid line to get maximum distance. But good quality braid line cost more and more money. To be honest it’s not that simple task to decided which line is “The Best” for you. Basically I was focusing on the  smallest measured diameter of the line and the second thing was the maximum breaking number.

Long story short, I ordered a few spools of the Major Craft Dangan braid because the diameter is quite low to compare with other brands and the price is much lower. Because it’s made in Japan I hope the line is very smooth like on the test shows.

Some of the previous lines I used become so flat (4x) and other are become very thick (8x) after a short time of using them. 

Tight lines,

mahigo

Screen Shot 2024-04-21 at 12.41.17 PM.png

Just wanted to stop by and say thanks to everyone that has compiled all the testing data from various sources and put them into the various spreadsheets, in addition to all the folks like @aquaholikthat have invested the time to do testing themselves.  If there is any data that i can provide from all of my tests to make a more user friendly "master list" then please let me know. Similar if anyone has any questions, comments or suggestions on how i can improve my data then i am all ears.

One item i did see that may be able to be improved on is in the "Compiled Braid Tests" spreadsheet on docs.google. Sorry i am not sure who maintains this one, but i see that for the lines added from my website it uses PI to work out the cross-sectional area. This assumes a round line which most are not, so i actually calculate the cross-section area in CAD after constructing each lines unique profile based on the measurments taken. If this cross-section data would be useful just let me know and i can expose that data somehow.

Tim

Edited by TimS
Welcome, Tim - please don’t post commercial links here - thank you :-)

17 hours ago, Mahigo said:

EricDice thank you for pointing out some of the good brands. I prefer to get a 20lbs line and not to go with the higher ones because of the diameter.

First I have to say thank you to “aquaholik” and the “line laboratory” for the tremendous work they have done for us.

Up to for now I have been using Daiwa J-braid and some of the no name braid lines base on the price. I think I am doing ok with the distance but why not to try to get a few more meters in distance casting artificial lures. So from the two mentioned before list and SOL members I need to use a goodggg t t t quality braid line to get maximum distance. But good quality braid line cost more and more money. To be honest it’s not that simple task to decided which line is “The Best” for you. Basically I was focusing on the  smallest measured diameter of the line and the second thing was the maximum breaking number.

Long story short, I ordered a few spools of the Major Craft Dangan braid because the diameter is quite low to compare with other burn but he has his hug bunny mini  brands and the price is much lower. Because it’s made in Japan I hope the line is very smooth like on the test shows.

Some of the previous lines I used become so flat (4x) and other are become very thick (8x) after a short time of using them. 

Tight lines,

mahigo

Screen Shot 2024-04-21 at 12.41.17 PM.png

like everything else in life, line choice is about trade offs & diminishing returns - stuff that’s hard to put into words and even when you do it’s not necessarily applicable to another guy’s needs or preference. 

The tests are just part of the process to help find your preferred options. And that’s an area where we can find these guys with real experience & expertise!

Best for you and best for me are different things because I will willingly give up distance for less wind knots, etc. 

On the water or “in the wild,” that’s the part where your own preference is going to throw away some data points in favor of things that don’t show up on the data tables. 

For example, I can’t find it easily anymore but 10 lbs Fireline Crystal is great choice of a thin line without as many wind knots as similar diameter lines.

and…

I had and used Gliss for one of my light tackle combos. It casts further than a line even of the same diameter as measured by our friends mentioned above. Still, it degraded very very quickly from who knows what: friction against guides & line roller, exposure to sunlight, getting wet & drying and getting wet again, etc. 

It wasn’t worth the hassle of using & replacing. 

11 hours ago, Line Laboratory said:

Just wanted to stop by and say thanks to everyone that has compiled all the testing data from various sources and put them into the various spreadsheets, in addition to all the folks like @aquaholikthat have invested the time to do testing themselves.  If there is any data that i can provide from all of my tests to make a more user friendly "master list" then please let me know. Similar if anyone has any questions, comments or suggestions on how i can improve my data then i am all ears.

One item i did see that may be able to be improved on is in the "Compiled Braid Tests" spreadsheet on docs.google. Sorry i am not sure who maintains this one, but i see that for the lines added from my website it uses PI to work out the cross-sectional area. This assumes a round line which most are not, so i actually calculate the cross-section area in CAD after constructing each lines unique profile based on the measurments taken. If this cross-section data would be useful just let me know and i can expose that data somehow.

Tim

Nice! Welcome!

20 hours ago, Line Laboratory said:

Tim

Warm welcome....!

On 4/23/2024 at 6:04 AM, EricDice said:

like everything else in life, line choice is about trade offs & diminishing returns - stuff that’s hard to put into words and even when you do it’s not necessarily applicable to another guy’s needs or preference. 

The tests are just part of the process to help find your preferred options. And that’s an area where we can find these guys with real experience & expertise!

Best for you and best for me are different things because I will willingly give up distance for less wind knots, etc. 

On the water or “in the wild,” that’s the part where your own preference is going to throw away some data points in favor of things that don’t show up on the data tables. 

For example, I can’t find it easily anymore but 10 lbs Fireline Crystal is great choice of a thin line without as many wind knots as similar diameter lines.

and…

I had and used Gliss for one of my light tackle combos. It casts further than a line even of the same diameter as measured by our friends mentioned above. Still, it degraded very very quickly from who knows what: friction against guides & line roller, exposure to sunlight, getting wet & drying and getting wet again, etc. 

It wasn’t worth the hassle of using & replacing. 

My fishing is about long distance casting lures all day….. so the line must be very good.

Yes you are correct some of the lines are pretty close in diameters but not available in 300m spools and some of the can’t ship outside of US.

Yes the Berkley 10 lbs Fireline Crystal looks good, I didn’t have it yet. Yes some of the braid lines even good brand going down very quickly.

Berkley X supper smooth breaking at 28.83lbs, diameter is 0.284mm which is VG but the price is around $35-$40+ plus $12-$25+ shipping for the 300m spool so one spool cost me over $50.

I have a few reels with double spools so I need a lots of money just for the lines. My local tackle shops sell mostly a few brands….

I hope the line I bought will be strong and good perform for a long time as new.

7 hours ago, Mahigo said:

My fishing is about long distance casting lures all day….. so the line must be very good.

Yes you are correct some of the lines are pretty close in diameters but not available in 300m spools and some of the can’t ship outside of US.

Yes the Berkley 10 lbs Fireline Crystal looks good, I didn’t have it yet. Yes some of the braid lines even good brand going down very quickly.

Berkley X supper smooth breaking at 28.83lbs, diameter is 0.284mm which is VG but the price is around $35-$40+ plus $12-$25+ shipping for the 300m spool so one spool cost me over $50.

I have a few reels with double spools so I need a lots of money just for the lines. My local tackle shops sell mostly a few brands….

I hope the line I bought will be strong and good perform for a long time as new.

Japan lure shop is a very affordable place to get JDM lines for good prices considering it’s probably the highest quality line - made in Japan. 

For example, 300m of YGK super jigman x8 in whatever strength you pick is about $28 if you pick the budget shipping option. 

I can’t vouch for super Jigman as I have only used xbraid upgrade X8. Unfortunately, that’s not available that I’ve seen in 300m. 

On 4/24/2024 at 8:08 PM, EricDice said:

Japan lure shop is a very affordable place to get JDM lines for good prices considering it’s probably the highest quality line - made in Japan. 

For example, 300m of YGK super jigman x8 in whatever strength you pick is about $28 if you pick the budget shipping option. 

I can’t vouch for super Jigman as I have only used xbraid upgrade X8. Unfortunately, that’s not available that I’ve seen in 300m. 

Thank you for the tip. The prices are good.

Only this line is in a 300 meters length. I don't see the line diameter on the package?

On 4/26/2024 at 10:15 PM, Mahigo said:

Thank you for the tip. The prices are good.

Only this line is in a 300 meters length. I don't see the line diameter on the package?

I’m guessing the YGK Jigman hopefully has similar diameter to the YGK upgrade x8. I don’t think line laboratory or Aquaholik have that one in the test results. 

I generally go for 200m and use a thicker stronger braid as filler. Check the search feature on the site for threads on that topic. If you go 200, there’s a lot more options available.