Lami XSRA 9' 1084, 2-Piece. Prone to Breaking?

Rate this topic

RP McMurphy

I'm considering one of these rods for the fleet.  I've read that some of the Arra factory rods were prone to breaking.  

Is there any way to identify the batch where there was a problem? (model #, # guides, etc?)  

Wouldn’t they be likely to have broken already if they were defective when manufactured? At this point, they are a bit heavier than current rods. Assume that the issues were in the design or guide placement (I vaguely recall).

Edited by Skin

38 mins ago, Skin said:

Wouldn’t they be likely to have broken already if they were defective when manufactured?

Thanks for the input.

The seller said, "I don't fish. A buddy wanted to try to get me into fishing.  I bought the rod and reel.  I went once. My buddy tied on a lure. I caught one small one and my buddy got it off the hook. That's the only time I used it..." 

So if that story is true, the rod was used only once, and by someone who didn't fish, so I'd be surprised if he was casting with any force (which it sounds like is when the breaking near the tip occurs).  

6 mins ago, RP McMurphy said:

Thanks for the input.

The seller said, "I don't fish. A buddy wanted to try to get me into fishing.  I bought the rod and reel.  I went once. My buddy tied on a lure. I caught one small one and my buddy got it off the hook. That's the only time I used it..." 

So if that story is true, the rod was used only once, and by someone who didn't fish, so I'd be surprised if he was casting with any force (which it sounds like is when the breaking near the tip occurs).  

For what it’s worth they never broke while fishing for me, only when hitting something or falling down. It can happen with surprisingly little force. 

Iirc the problem was more with the 10' ers and it wasn't so much of a blank problem as more not enough guides. It was limited to the first few years where they only used 4 guides then they went to 5 and the problem went away.

the human race has proved darwins theory of evolution wrong. we let the dumb survive. 

I had one and I loved it. It casted lighter lures great. It did not like 4 oz , even though it was rated to that. You could throw 1/2-3 oz very nicely with it though.  I just did not like the tip over butt design, and I’m sure that was probably just me. Just looked goofy, to me anyway, the way the tip met the butt lol.

I landed some nice fish with that rod, was never really worried.

And I really loved the color the blank in the sun when it was all shined up too. 
Still have a 2-6oz 10‘6“ one piece here, things a freaking rocket launcher lol.

EA

Digging deep into the gray cells, but yeah the 4 guide setup on the 1084 was a known issue, early production was another known issue (Lami had a few prototype 1084 blanks out there which probably muddied the waters), and the general lack of a place in the lineup (it was more of an eel rod than an SP minnow rod) was also contributor to people selling them. The rods were light for the time, but I think that the GSB equivalents had a preferable action and these days, time and components have moved on and you can get the performance for less weight. Feel free to correct me if I am misremembering.

I have a 1083 & 1084 I've been using since 2006 many fish and memorable fights with the Striped One...But as SurfCaster01289 mentioned the slightest contact with anything other than  big fish pulling on her can be disastrous...My 1204 exploded when I fell on some rocks on the Southshore, no bueno...  

Don't shy away from the 1083 if you happen to find one.

Amazing rod.  Launches 1.5oz pencils and tins a mile.  Abused mine for years and still in one piece.

I think the older fleet with the old guide layout were the ones prone to breaking (4 versus 6 guides NGC).

Edited by DEM Parking Lot

Congratulations! The RA 1084 is an awesome rod. In my opinion, one of the best nine footers ever made. Treat it right and it will last you forever. Try to high stick a four or 5 pound fish and it will wave goodbye. Like any other rod out there. I have fished my 1084’s for years. One is about 12 years old now. I have heard that they are prone to breakage, but I have also heard that many other rods are prone to breakage. Somebody has a bad experience with one and all of a sudden they are all garbage. Every rod has its limits and as long as you stay within those limits, you should have a friend for life. 
Tight Lines 

Mike

Tight Lines and High Tides Forever! mtl50

1 hour ago, mtl50 said:

Try to high stick a four or 5 pound fish and it will wave goodbye

Thanks Mike. Yes, I learned this lesson on a jetty in Maine. An ODM it was ...

This nine footer splits 50/50, so if I manage to keep my clumsiness in check, the rod will hopefully serve me well for years. And I'll admit, I like the root beer look of them.

48 mins ago, RP McMurphy said:

Thanks Mike. Yes, I learned this lesson on a jetty in Maine. An ODM it was ...

This nine footer splits 50/50, so if I manage to keep my clumsiness in check, the rod will hopefully serve me well for years. And I'll admit, I like the root beer look of them.

They are a sweet looking rod, no doubt at all!!

Tight Lines and High Tides Forever! mtl50