Appreciation Post

Rate this topic

LockedDrag

Yes! Congrats!

Just wait for when you hook into a fish that challenges your skill and physical ability. That is sort of when our fate is sealed and at least for me

....my preference for fly fishing over other methods became priority.

Spinning and conventional mask the strength of the fish we target. Those methods have the avantage of a geared winch and stout rods made for fighting fish.

The more the fight moves to hand lining, the more level/accurate experience in fighting fish becomes. 

For me it is this physicality in the fish fighting that has me hooked.  The casting mechanics

Welcome to the maddness.

1 hour ago, puppet said:

Yes! Congrats!

Just wait for when you hook into a fish that challenges your skill and physical ability. That is sort of when our fate is sealed and at least for me

....my preference for fly fishing over other methods became priority.

Spinning and conventional mask the strength of the fish we target. Those methods have the avantage of a geared winch and stout rods made for fighting fish.

The more the fight moves to hand lining, the more level/accurate experience in fighting fish becomes. 

For me it is this physicality in the fish fighting that has me hooked.  The casting mechanics

Welcome to the maddness.

Flies are expensive too lmao 2.50 each time. I don’t even want to admit how many I lost cuz of poor mechanics 

5 hours ago, LockedDrag said:

Flies are expensive too lmao 2.50 each time. I don’t even want to admit how many I lost cuz of poor mechanics 

Sierra trading post has flys on the cheap pretty regularly. 

Don't talk yourself into tying your own to save money. 

Tying is a great hobby but it doesn't save money.

12 mins ago, Kml said:

Yeah. I’m not handy enough or patient enough to tie lol

13 mins ago, LockedDrag said:

I’d rather just buy lol Bear’s Den, BPS, and F&F has everything I throw

If I am doing small trips I will typically by a dozen flies at the local fly shop. It's a good ice breaker to see what hatches are on and how the bite is. 

28 mins ago, Kml said:

If I am doing small trips I will typically by a dozen flies at the local fly shop. It's a good ice breaker to see what hatches are on and how the bite is. 

I’m not that advanced yet but when I see certain bugs, I go into a shop next time buying imitations if they have it. Learn on the go lol

2 hours ago, Kml said:

44 mins ago, Kml said:

But home tied the quality typically is way way better. Plus you get to chose the hook. Shop Clousers are nearly always sold with dumb bell eyes that could pierce the front armour on a battle tank. They are mostly too big and too heavy. Shop Deceivers are typically crap. But they get you started. The tying  thing can wait a while 

. Mad Mike 

Edited by Mike Oliver

1 hour ago, surfflyguy said:

Thats fair give it time. Alot of good options to buy flies. What fish do you see yourself targeting 

Just stocked trout lol just to pass time until the stripers are here. I’m hoping to get a striper on the fly too this year but I only plan to do it for fun until it’s time to hunt the big girls 

18 mins ago, LockedDrag said:

Just stocked trout lol just to pass time until the stripers are here. I’m hoping to get a striper on the fly too this year but I only plan to do it for fun until it’s time to hunt the big girls 

Nothing wrong with stock trout teaches you the basics. Just practice your casting seems like you already know where the striped bass live so you are ahead of the game. 

Tying flies will save you a little dough if you are diciplined and avoid trends and listening to folk who say words like "must have" or "game changing"....which is mostly BS. 

Presentation

General profile

Color

Many articles written on the importance of that order.

We can overcome so many wrong attributes with applying the right presentation.  Trout and striped bass are often not picky....especially in spring and fall. They are driven to eat.