Halved Cranks

Rate this topic

Posted (edited)

Because I can be inaccurate, I drew a template for each, and drilled/etched out voids for wire and weights. Before I even cut out profiles, I drilled a wire sized hole thru each blank, I used this to insert a pin (a small length of wire). This ensured whenever I put the halves together they would be lined up correctly

IMG_3739.jpeg.a81b2ce1be390079fc0ce26c86a731b6.jpegIMG_3752.jpeg.5076cdbcba75f313564e559ff9acc377.jpeg

Edited by Livefreeordie

Posted (edited)

73229997506__4C4AE3EB-6F0D-495A-A864-645750509F01.jpeg.9edea9dfbacf4cd692a9c57788e8b4c7.jpegI glued the halves together with the weights inside using epoxy, but added haywire twists/screw eyes later. My thinking was they’d be more solid if i flooded the wire holes with slow-cure then inserted the wires for line tie, belly and tail hooks.IMG_3754.jpeg.c970fda2a3ca130a94aa0d093f0cd563.jpeg

Edited by Livefreeordie

6 hours ago, wvbud22 said:

Well done. I haven’t tried the split body thing yet but I have some ready to cut and give it a go. Are the weights loose and rattle?

They look good and solid. 

WV!, In these the weights are not loose to rattle. Even with tracing paper templates, a couple of my weights holes were drilled inaccurately. I seriously need to spend the $129 on a cheap drill press. Anyhow, I had to widen those inaccurate holes so the halves fit together after inserting the .28 oz lead balls. I 5-minute epoxied them in 1 side. Later, doused the opposite side with slow cure and clamped them together. Last year, I made some similar baits with a weight transfer (SS bbs that traveled in a channel). The transfer did nothing noticeable for casting distance (the lures still tumbled in the air) but did act as de facto rattles.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with, share pics please