Kayak spinning rod

Not sure why you'd cast 3 oz from a kayak, a drop is usually adequate for jigging, but a Spinfisher 4500 is a great, water resistant all around kayak reel. Even better is the Liveliner version.

What’s your price range? 

I do not kayak fish anymore, nor did I throw big spooks like that from a kayak.

I do have a lot of St croix rods though, and I believe the Triumph inshore 7’ is rated to 2oz. The avid 7 6’ I think is 3/4 - 3. The avid might be good for you, take a look they’re in the $300 range, that may or may not be out of your price range I don’t know.

“I enjoy talking to you. Your mind appeals to me. It resembles my own mind except that you happen to be insane.”

A lot of the jigging world rods are rated up to 4 oz I have 2 of their rods Nexus/Hybrid both of which I used for fluking. That being said my next rod will also probably be a Jigging World rod some of the best rods I owned and they are mostly under $200 for what you are looking for. Might be worth looking into.

On 4/13/2024 at 4:28 AM, Pajohn said:

Looking for a kayak spinning rod that will cast 3oz  any suggestions thanks

Hogy HYBRID INSHORE / OFFSHORE SPINNING ROD: MOD-FAST ACTION 7' MH (1OZ - 4OZ) can throw 3oz lures.  Probably Nexus 7 H or 76MH spinning works too. 

Tsunami Five Star Spinning - TFSS-701MH ... I have the Med (two actually) that I've been using for 10 years. $40-$50 ... these are indestructible and cast great. The Med is great for 1/2 oz up to 1 1/2 ... the MH is rated to 3 oz so you should be able to throw the Doc. For the price you can try and just move on if you don't like it ...

I am in the same boat as you, I have a Black Hole Kayaker 6'8 rod rated for 2oz - 6oz primarily for jigging. Looking for a stick that can throw spooks, metal lips, flutter spoons etc. Have come across the below options that I am personally considering:

$200-$300 range

7' Tsunami SaltX Inshore rated to 3oz - someone I know fishes with this and likes it

7' Dark Matter Fishaholic rated 1-4oz  - seen the guy on YT use this aplenty for kayak applications and also on boats

ODM DNA Inshore - have a couple of ODMs surf rods but no experience with these.

>$300

ODM Frontier X boat rod - havent fished with them but the local tackle shop had these and they felt really well built

7'3 Black Hole Challenger Bank rated 1-4 oz - I own a couple of lower end Black Hole rod and really enjoy fishing with them

7'3 Century Weapon Jr Mag Wrecker rated up to 3.5oz - spoke with someone at Tomo Tackle and they said its super light and would work quite well for a kayak application. Also the cheapest way into the Century  line up but still quite pricey.

Personally for me I'm considering between the SaltX Inshore and the Century Weapon Jr Mag Wrecker. Most likely will end up with the SaltX as I dont want to buy something till I get my hands on one and those Century rods are hard to find locally.

There is an Ugly stik for every application, but the handles always have to be shortened. Jigging rods are like Swiss Army knives on a yak, other than targeting finicky bottom feeders they cover all other techniques for me. The jigging handles on the Tsunami and Penn Rampage are longish, but doable.

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.