turkeys by the yard full

Rate this topic

47 mins ago, Eagles Dare said:

Sorry about your condition. 

Are you anti-fishing too? You can buy fish at the store as well.

Believe it or not, a wild turkey that hasn't been fed into tameness is one of the most challenging animals to harvest in the wild. 

ED,

Honestly, I've sort of changed the way I look at turkeys myself.

When I was coming up through the turkey hunting ranks, I was a rabid turkey guy, and  still am. Every year began my scouting in March, hunting 2 states. In the  turkey woods at 3am. In almost every case, I called and even photographed the bird I took opening morning.

The last few birds were just...easy.  Too easy.  Once you get good at calling it's game over, you surely know that. I was passing on nice mature toms because I wanted a boss. 

I'm not anti hunting in any way. Maybe once I get these back issues fixed, I'll be ready to go again. This is really getting rough.

The Sultan of Sluggo

5 hours ago, capesams said:

i used to raise these birds as pets growing up i now have many who  come to me for food and water they hurt nothing and are good company when you can't do anything but sit in a chair most of the day because strokes have  take  most  of your body to day there is no reason to kill anything when food stores are around every corner.

I understand your love of wildlife and the joy you get in watching them.   One of the reasons I love to hunt and fish is for the joy I get being out in the woods and seeing all the wonders that are out there.   I have had fawns within feet of me while turkey hunting, and songbirds birds land on my bow while deer hunting.   There is always something new to learn or look at.

The resurgence of the wild turkey in MA is a testament to successful wildlife management.  Once pretty much non-existent in MA, they are now found in abundant numbers.  Much of that success is do to the support of sportsman and groups such as the Wild Turkey Federation.   They promote responsible conservation as well as ethical hunting.   Hunting should always will be on the forefront of conservation efforts.   Many of us enjoy turkey hunting not only for the day in the woods, but also for the harvest.   And if we are to be totally honest, whether you get your food in the woods or from the supermarket, it will always involve the demise of an animal.

Edited by Jeff270

Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

4 hours ago, capesams said:

Who is this directed at??

Edited by TimS
quote edited

Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

3 hours ago, bob_G said:

ED,

Honestly, I've sort of changed the way I look at turkeys myself.

When I was coming up through the turkey hunting ranks, I was a rabid turkey guy, and  still am. Every year began my scouting in March, hunting 2 states. In the  turkey woods at 3am. In almost every case, I called and even photographed the bird I took opening morning.

The last few birds were just...easy.  Too easy.  Once you get good at calling it's game over, you surely know that. I was passing on nice mature toms because I wanted a boss. 

I'm not anti hunting in any way. Maybe once I get these back issues fixed, I'll be ready to go again. This is really getting rough.

Never found it easy. Have I taken birds on opening morning? Sure, many times. Have I had them gobble like crazy and refuse to come closer than 50 yards? Yep. Have I been out when you know there's birds in the area but they don't resond or make a peep at any call? A lot, including this past Saturday. 

I'm no world champion caller, serviceable but never gonna win any contests. A lot of the fun for me is you just never know how they're going to react & respond. If they come in on a string everytime, you must be hunting an area where no one else does.   

I'll have mine on the rocks.

1 min ago, Eagles Dare said:

I was wondering the same thing. It's gotta be me or you, and I can't see where either of us said anything to provoke that reaction.  :shrug:

My first reaction was that some other post got deleted and that's what he is referring too.

I'll try again because my originally post didn't make it.  When you get older do you really lose the desire to hunt these animals or is it do to physical limitations?  Should be a problem to shoot a turkey during turkey season unless your vegan

2 mins ago, FoulHooker said:

I'll try again because my originally post didn't make it.  When you get older do you really lose the desire to hunt these animals or is it do to physical limitations?  Should be a problem to shoot a turkey during turkey season unless your vegan

As I get older, I find I pass on a lot more animals.   I have let a lot of does and smaller bucks walk.  Why, not sure!  When I really think about it, it comes down to I just don't feel like killing them.  I still get the fun out of out smarting them and knowing I could have taken them.  If there is meat in the freezer, I see no need to close the deal.  

The fun in turkey hunting is the calling.  Getting a nice mature tom with in shotgun range is an accomplishment if they have seen any pressure.  Pulling the trigger on one is a piece of cake.  If you can't hit a turkey with a shotgun, take up tennis.  

4 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

He already explained himself.  Please don't pile on and have some compassion...

Understood, I thought I did.  Apologies if I offended anyone.  It was not meant to be offensive.

19 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

As I get older, I find I pass on a lot more animals.   I have let a lot of does and smaller bucks walk.  Why, not sure!  When I really think about it, it comes down to I just don't feel like killing them.  I still get the fun out of out smarting them and knowing I could have taken them.  If there is meat in the freezer, I see no need to close the deal.  

The fun in turkey hunting is the calling.  Getting a nice mature tom with in shotgun range is an accomplishment if they have seen any pressure.  Pulling the trigger on one is a piece of cake.  If you can't hit a turkey with a shotgun, take up tennis.  

See that's what I meant.  

I began turkey hunting the year it became legal in Ma. We hunted the town of Alford.  Got lucky,

and walked into birds.  Never got one, because my calling sucked, but I got hooked.

Completely immersed myself in learning about turkeys.  After 40 years, I found myself getting so selective, I was only taking one bird a season, and I only if he was a boss.  

The old adage, "the thrill of the chase".   Harvesting the bird was almost anticlimactic.  The boss beards are cool.  The meat is...ok. 

But maybe once the surgeon tunes up my back I'll feel differently. 

The Sultan of Sluggo