Plumbing question

Rate this topic

I had a water softener and a system for Radon installed 4 years ago. 

The plumber used pex to feed everything and it works its way around the room and back to my well tank.

Right after it was installed when the pump came on for the Radon system after it stopped there was a bang from the piping.  I had the plumber come back and check it out and he said it was just the air line that vents outside shutting off.  So I just lived with it. 

Now 4 years later we just got a new washer.

When the washer is filling the Pex pipe is jumping or slamming enough that I can hear it upstairs. I went downstairs and watched and it's not the vent but the water feed line jumping. I feel this extra pressure on the line could cause something to let go.

So my question is what is installed for water slam?

Where in the line should this be installed?

troll #122  <*)))<

You can buy an Air hammer arrestor, install it behind the washer. You can also DIY with a tee and a short capped riser above the valve.

Consider adding some pipe straps to stop the movement.

IMG_4287.jpeg

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

13 hours ago, cheech said:

You can buy an Air hammer arrestor, install it behind the washer. You can also DIY with a tee and a short capped riser above the valve.

Consider adding some pipe straps to stop the movement.

IMG_4287.jpeg

^^^This.   My brother-in-law had a similar issue with his washing machine and was worried he's trash the PVC in his walls. And he had tried to secure if with extra strapping at oen point.  He was considering even replacing the washer.  He installed these at my suggestion and cured it for about $30 and a few minutes to install. From what I have read it can be in part because some of the newer washers- e.g new front loaders use valves that act more quickly than the old ones and also open and close more often.

Not sure I follow the radon "pump" going on and off and the connection to the water system.  The radon removal fans I am aware of dont' use water and they also run 24/7/365. 

• 3 weeks later...