H Powders and IMR Powders

Rate this topic

Off the top of my head, I can think of two.  Maybe there are more.

IMR4831 and H4831

IMR4350 and H4350

Similar, but different?  Why do they use the same numbers?  Can cause confusion.  And confusion in reloading isn't exactly the safest.

Anyone know the story on these powders?  Of the 4 above, I only use IMR4350.

On 4/11/2024 at 7:00 PM, Mummichog said:

Off the top of my head, I can think of two.  Maybe there are more.

IMR4831 and H4831

IMR4350 and H4350

Similar, but different?  Why do they use the same numbers?  Can cause confusion.  And confusion in reloading isn't exactly the safest.

Anyone know the story on these powders?  Of the 4 above, I only use IMR4350.

http://www.adiworldclass.com.au/powder-equivalents/

3 mins ago, Mummichog said:

Thanks.  Were IMR and Hogdon one company at some point?  I believe DuPont owns IMR now.

Do not know.

Some nice guy was reloading for me for a while and was using Varget for my loads. He ran out and switched to an equivalent made by Hogdon...

I'm ignorant when it comes to reloading.

Hodgdon owns a bunch of powder companies now. 

Winchester,IMR, Ramshot, Accurate plus a bunch of Black Powder substitute products.

I mainly only load pistol cartridges and the 2 that come to mind are  H110/W296 & HP38/W231.

As far as the same numbers, different labels. No idea. 

Probably just to F! With us

Edited by PSeggs

2 hours ago, Mummichog said:

Thanks.  Were IMR and Hogdon one company at some point?  I believe DuPont owns IMR now.

Dupont sold IMR to Hodgdon around 2003. Winchester sold to Hodgdon around 2006. 

On 4/11/2024 at 7:00 PM, Mummichog said:

Anyone know the story on these powders?

As I recall:

DuPont made 4831 during WW-II for the US Govt.  After WW-II Hodgdon bought all of the surplus and sold it as 4831 for decades.  Sometime in the 1970's they ran out of the surplus 4831 and had a new lot manufactures, it became known as H4831 (Newly Manufactured) - I remember buying it in the square paper 1 lbs. containers marked that way.  DuPont kept manufacturing their 4831, which was marked IMR-4831 to identify it as DuPont - two manufacturers making the same powder but slightly different burn rates - each with it's own data.  Further into the future Hodgdon buys an Australian Powder, same burn rate and markets it in the USA as H4831, while DuPont spins off the powder division which becomes IMR powders and they make their powder in Canada.  All very similar burn rates but not exact.  Work up your loads for the powder you have, then double check if you switch.  Off the top of my head that is how I remember it.  OH

9 hours ago, Old Hunter said:

As I recall:

DuPont made 4831 during WW-II for the US Govt.  After WW-II Hodgdon bought all of the surplus and sold it as 4831 for decades.  Sometime in the 1970's they ran out of the surplus 4831 and had a new lot manufactures, it became known as H4831 (Newly Manufactured) - I remember buying it in the square paper 1 lbs. containers marked that way.  DuPont kept manufacturing their 4831, which was marked IMR-4831 to identify it as DuPont - two manufacturers making the same powder but slightly different burn rates - each with it's own data.  Further into the future Hodgdon buys an Australian Powder, same burn rate and markets it in the USA as H4831, while DuPont spins off the powder division which becomes IMR powders and they make their powder in Canada.  All very similar burn rates but not exact.  Work up your loads for the powder you have, then double check if you switch.  Off the top of my head that is how I remember it.  OH

You'd think that powders would be required to have more distinctly unique names.  Funny thing, I have some really old manuals that have these powders with out the H or IMR.  It just says something like "4350 powder".  

On 4/13/2024 at 2:32 PM, snapper1 said:

Some nice guy was reloading for me for a while

I'm ignorant when it comes to reloading.

First rule of reloading - NEVER shoot someone else's reloads !

I was given a few hundred 357 mag reloads. I broke them all down for the brass and primers, tossed the seeds, fertilized the garden with the powder.

Thank God I did that ! One of those loads was crimped so tight that I broke my kinetic puller trying to bust it open. When I finally did I found it had a double load of powder ! Absolutely would have blown my gun up !

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

On 4/20/2024 at 5:13 PM, Sudsy said:

First rule of reloading - NEVER shoot someone else's reloads !

I was given a few hundred 357 mag reloads. I broke them all down for the brass and primers, tossed the seeds, fertilized the garden with the powder.

Thank God I did that ! One of those loads was crimped so tight that I broke my kinetic puller trying to bust it open. When I finally did I found it had a double load of powder ! Absolutely would have blown my gun up !

or they could have a single charge of the wrong powder.  I can't imagine what would happen if I loaded my 300 Weatherby with 88.5 grains of Red Dot instead of RL22.  A bomb, I would guess.

Close, red dot high pressure. 357 bullseye or unique. I’ve reloaded since high school in late 70’s, always stayed Hercules ( alliant ). Post virus Hogdan Long shot is my go to 

On 4/22/2024 at 8:22 PM, Mummichog said:

Imagine touching off 90 grains of Red Dot at once.  Oof.

I touched off half a pound of Bullseye last summer.  

That was really fun. 

I could have sprinkled it on the lawn. But that would not have been fun. 

18 mins ago, PSeggs said:

I touched off half a pound of Bullseye last summer.  

That was really fun. 

How did that scenario look?  Long fuse in the cannister?  In a pile?  I imagine the level of containment would dictate the pressures generated.