‘24 Shad Fishin

Rate this topic

I remember when the parking lot at my local spot had RVs from NY and CT. With as few people fishing for them I’m not sure this is really a spot burn especially based on how few are taking advantage of a great fishing. It’s a blast and the fish can fight. Most people release but a few fish with roe are kept for to fry!

Tough morning on the river…

Flow is down to almost 15,000cfs 

Boat guys were doing alright anchored over the deeper spots but you had be be in the prime spots to hook up from shore. 
Rain this week should help bring the level up. 

Ditch Troll #338

-Tight Lines

On 5/12/2024 at 1:50 PM, mikez2 said:

Only saw a few guys trying in a popular upriver Merrimack spot this weekend. Saw none caught.

I think I know the spot. The crowds never arrived. I don't think I've seen more than six anglers, and that was a couple weeks ago. Mostly 0-2 lately.

Massachusetts EPO:

1-800-632-8075

7 mins ago, ermghoti said:

I think I know the spot. The crowds never arrived. I don't think I've seen more than six anglers, and that was a couple weeks ago. Mostly 0-2 lately.

Interesting. I'm not very in tune with the shad fishing in the area. Mostly it's something I see other guys doing while I'm striper fishing. Last year we did put in a small effort and got a few. Seems like it was a bit later.

2 hours ago, mikez2 said:

Interesting. I'm not very in tune with the shad fishing in the area. Mostly it's something I see other guys doing while I'm striper fishing. Last year we did put in a small effort and got a few. Seems like it was a bit later.

There's typically a dozen to twenty people packed in there during a run. I'd rather hit a slower spot and not deal with the crowd. I'll try the boat launching from Cashman's if I have time.

Massachusetts EPO:

1-800-632-8075

Does anyone fish the Palmer River in Rehoboth anymore?  Does it even have shad anymore?

A really unique place.  Tidal influence all the way to the old Shad Factory. Reminds me more of a trout river than a shad and herring run.

Had sea run trout, and you could catch the occasional schoolie way upstream.

The Sultan of Sluggo

My buddy Anthony got second place today in the derby :shaky:

I had two this morning 0.1lbs out of tenth place….

A couple of the hens were shooting eggs while being unhooked.
Water temp is almost 60 and will be way over that after this weeks heat wave.  

Ditch Troll #338

-Tight Lines

On 5/18/2024 at 6:58 PM, bob_G said:

Does anyone fish the Palmer River in Rehoboth anymore?  Does it even have shad anymore?

A really unique place.  Tidal influence all the way to the old Shad Factory. Reminds me more of a trout river than a shad and herring run.

Yes...usually on the way to play golf at Swansea CC. Only stripers on the fly, tho.

On 5/18/2024 at 6:58 PM, bob_G said:

A friend of mine still does.  Or at least did in the last couple of years.   I stopped there a few weeks ago looking for herring.  The water was too high and dark to see anything.  Didn't have my rods with me though.   They used to have a shad derby there every year when I was a kid. 

DITCH TROLL

7 mins ago, pogie_boy said:

A friend of mine still does.  Or at least did in the last couple of years.   I stopped there a few weeks ago looking for herring.  The water was too high and dark to see anything.  Didn't have my rods with me though.   They used to have a shad derby there every year when I was a kid. 

The shad derby!  I won that derby in 1970. My fish weighed 7lbs2oz.  

Did you know the man who organized it?  He was the local postmaster, his name was Everett Lucas. Really nice man.  He took me under his wing and taught me much about the river.

The Sultan of Sluggo