2024 Ma forum gardening thread

Rate this topic

It's almost that time, sun's bright, soil is warming.  Anyone starting seeds?

I got my grow tent rigged up yesterday, planning on buying some potting seedling soil today.

Probably going to start upwards of 75 tomatoes this year.  I give some to a neighbor, and several friends who still talk to me.:laugh:

The Sultan of Sluggo

on a nice day here and there i move my big pots around as to where i can get to them without falling as i really only have one leg that works right...i have filled them all with happy soil getting ready for sunflowers squash and all the other goodies...soon i will be starting seeds in my windows...i also have gotten a start on my 4x8 raised bed for other things cant wait to get going planting.

I need to turn the soil and add a little compost.

The trellis for the pees also needs to be fixed up.

Everything is getting expensive.  I was thinking I may make the garden a little bigger.   But for me the challenge is picking which veggies I want for the table.

i might pass on the cucumbers and zucchini this year. Those vines seem to go everywhere and they take over the garden.

Maybe I’m just getting old but anything that’s any good is expensive.

good veggies & good fruit costs a premium.

i enjoy being able to pick fresh raspberries during the season and the bees definitely help with garden.

i need to get another nuc though.  One of my hives didn’t make it through the winter.

I put some grass seed out this morning on some bare spots.

i figured since it was damp and we have a little more rain coming.

i put the good grass down first,  then covered with some screened loam and then put a contractor mix on top.  It seems to work .  The good stuff can take its time setting up its roots and the contractor blend can enjoy the glory of sprouting quickly.  
I noticed Costco also has $11 off on Scott’s lawn food (not to be confused with regular fertilizer).  Have any of you guys tried it?

1 hour ago, PencilPopperPete said:

I need to turn the soil and add a little compost.

The trellis for the pees also needs to be fixed up.

Everything is getting expensive.  I was thinking I may make the garden a little bigger.   But for me the challenge is picking which veggies I want for the table.

i might pass on the cucumbers and zucchini this year. Those vines seem to go everywhere and they take over the garden.

Maybe I’m just getting old but anything that’s any good is expensive.

good veggies & good fruit costs a premium.

i enjoy being able to pick fresh raspberries during the season and the bees definitelys going help with garden.

i need to get another nuc though.  One of my hives didn’t make it through the winter.

As much as I enjoyed beekeeping, I finally threw in the towel. It was getting more difficult each year to keep hives going. Plus, there's only so many things you can do I will say this, the years we had hives, we had our best gardens ever.

The Sultan of Sluggo

Sorry that you’re done with the bees.

The bees are tricky for me now that I’m getting weaker.  A box filled with honey is heavy for me to lift.  I now have to take out a couple frames at a time.

as much as we enjoy the honey.  I like having the bees because the fruit trees really do well.

i also like scraping out the propolis.

i make a varnish out of it and use it when I finish my fly rods.

(in the old days it was used on violins)

2 hours ago, PencilPopperPete said:

Try growing the more upright bush type cukes and zuccs.

They take up a lot less space and yield very well.

19 mins ago, PencilPopperPete said:

Sorry that you’re done with the bees.

The bees are tricky for me now that I’m getting weaker.  A box filled with honey is heavy for me to lift.  I now have to take out a couple frames at a time.

as much as we enjoy the honey.  I like having the bees because the fruit trees really do well.

i also like scraping out the propolis.

i make a varnish out of it and use it when I finish my fly rods.

(in the old days it was used on violins)

What was happening was my bees were dying over the winter.  Trachea mites, varoa(sp?), re queening,  swarming.  It was just getting to be too much. 

I was buying Hawaiian queens, and those were good.  But they would swarm and I'd lose most of my hive.  Migratory bee keepers pollinating the bogs were bringing all sorts of diseases up north.  I just couldn't justify the $$$ and time anymore.

The Sultan of Sluggo

For varoa mites, I use the “sugar shake”.   I open the top of the hive and I take organic powder sugar and I sprinkle it on the bees.  The bees start taking the sugar off each other and that knocks the mites off the bees.  It’s not a pesticide and the bees like it.  I do it about once a month.  Every hive has mites.  

thanks for the tip on the bush type cucumbers.  I will try that.

My brother in law wanted to start all the seeds this year.  Fine by me. I will plant them. Lots of peppers. He stuffs the cherry peppers with aged provolone and prosicito. 

I guess my ground cherries haven't popped yet put everything else is looking good. 

troll #122  <*)))<